Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Volume 4 - Tuesday night bike

After the past month of insanity, Matt was able to leave work early yesterday so that we could meet up with Maija and Bob for a bike ride after work. It was a beautiful evening for riding...warm sun, no humidity and clear skies...ahhh. We met started the ride from Maija's place at 6:00pm. We got in 25miles in about 1hr30min. It was my first true bike workout (since we were technically joining Maija for her Coach Jen scheduled bike) with timed intervals, rest and climbs. I loved it! Even the VERY steep and VERY long Stanton Mt. that we rode up. Devil's Hill will seem like a breeze and I am officially over my fear of standing up in the saddle after that hill! Whew, it was a tough go, but we made it! The ride made me keenly aware that I am a very novice cyclist, but I'm excited to learn and improve. I was smoked by everyone on the first speed interval, but I was able to hang on to Matt for the second interval. I'm sure it was only because he was tired, but I'll take it. No matter...I love riding my bike regardless. You know, it's funny...when I get left in the dust while swimming my immediate reaction is, "screw this....it sucks. I don't stand a chance." I tend to get deflated and give up easily. On the bike, however, it is, "Oh no you don't! I know I can catch you. Maybe not today, but someday I will be able to stick with you!" It totally fires me up. Go figure!

It was almost 8:00pm by the time we were headed home...very hungry hippos! We stopped at Wegmans and got some lean ground beef to make burgers. MMmmm....sometimes a burger hits the spot. We stayed up too late watching American Idol (go Adam!) and didn't get to sleep until after 11:00pm. Matt was to get up for a 6am swim with Bob......stay tuned for Volume 4.

Self portrait prior to start


Bob and Genine

Helmet head or bad haircut...you decide.

3 comments:

m said...

Hungry hippos! ha ha! Great job on the bike ride, glad you got over the fear of standing up!.

SJV said...

I think you are right. You will catch them. You are a powerful woman. Sturdy. Even the Russians are impressed.

When I am left in the dust in the swim, I usually think "How can I get more buoyancy in my wetsuit? Can I exhale into the suit somehow so it inflates as I swim? Can I put on styrofoam toenails?" Things like that go through my head. I did think "This sucks" during the Mooseman last year, but more because I was dying than because I was being left behind.

Pretty soon everyone will being saying it sucks to race against you. Keep up the training. First you barreled downhill like a Banshee, now you are standing up going uphills. Nothing can stop you!

CSquared said...

When I get left in the dust (is dust the right word here, in reality no dust would exist in pure water) eh .... wake, what I usually think is, "What do I need to do to catch Shawn?" I even did this at Mooseman, even though he wasn't in front of me.

Try it. It might not make Shawn feel good, but he should have thought about that before the nachos (I think every post should now contain the word nacho)!