Friday, May 29, 2009

Matt's Bike

I'm only finding short windows of time to post what's up. Here is some of what's going on.

Last weekend while in Warren I took my bike to the shop there to have them true my rear wheel. When I picked it up the next day, he said that it took quite a bit of work to get it back into alignment. So I should keep an eye on it… and that the wheel might not have much life left in it. There aren’t many spokes on the wheel, so I can understand how it would be difficult to adjust. At the same time, I’m guessing he hasn’t trued many “race” wheels, so hopefully I’m better off than he thinks.
Part 2 of this story is the fact that he decided to adjust the cable length on my front derailleur. My front shifter has 3 positions. Big ring, Small Ring and a 3rd shift lower which I suppose might give the chain a bit more room when in the climbing gears in the back. (I’ve never found this position to be useful at all). Anyhow, after being at the shop. My shifting became. Big Ring, Click- still big ring. Click Small Ring. Also if I’m in the big ring. I can press the paddle all the way in to downshift and it will actually click to the 3rd position and the new home of the small ring.
So I called a bike shop last night to see if they could make a quick adjustment for me. They said maybe they would have it done tomorrow if I brought it in. Or it would be Monday. I decided it was time for me to learn how to do this myself. The shop can bail me out if I make it worse, which I thought unlikely. I had posted about my problem on trifuel earlier in the week and people had posted links as to the likely problem and links to the “how to”. I checked that out and then took a look at the cable. It looked like he had shortened it by ¼ to ½ an inch. After some messing around to figure out how it all worked, it seems I have it back to the way it was before my trip to the bike shop. The cable is a bit frayed as well. I’d never looked at it real closely before. I am concerned that when in the big ring, the chain is too close to the derailleur when on the 12 in the back. I definitely am looking to have a pro check out the indexing and such sometime soon.

1 comment:

CSquared said...

I have had a similar problem with my bike. I know it is because the cable has stretched enough that it doesn't have the play it should. Mine really goes Big Ring - Click - small ring - Click - still in small gear - "tick, tick, tick, tick" riding uphill for minute - "clang" "slang" "cuchunk" "cuchunk" - finally in 3rd shift.

I have the new cables, once again time is always my friend. Remember my theory, why let a shop screw it up when I can do it much better.