Saturday, May 30, 2009

Okay, since it was a weekend, it was time for another long ride. I takes 'em when I can get 'em. Here is my ride from today, in case anyone wishes to get very involved in my training. This ride was also notably on purpose! It was just shy of 47 miles, through some truly gorgeous terrain. I should have known I was making in error in judgment when I started going up "Summer Mountain Road," as that moniker should have been a clue as to its course, but I knew it didn't go over the mountain because I could see on the map it stayed on my side of the ridge. Unfortunately, it went quite a ways up my side of the ridge. I stoutheartedly put that mountain under my belt like another bag of nachos and cruised down the long hill afterwards with wild abandon. I never got off the bike, except for a few drink breaks and to take in the beautiful views from the mountain tops. It was darn windy on the way back to my car, which of course was a 20 mile slog into a stiff wind while going generally uphill for a good chunk of it, but the last 7 miles or so is a very nice slide back down to ground level, making the ride end on a pleasant note. I feel pretty good about it the whole thing. People should come and join me on this ride sometime. It is really a scenic wonder. It's also part of the "Bicycle PA" route through this part of the state, and for good reason, I'd say. Also, it looks like I can do the half iron bike without feeling like I'm going to die. The run is another story. If I had the discipline to get skinny, and I mean ripped, I might actually be okay at this. I'm just not sure I have that discipline. I love food!

Where'd I put that seven-layer dip?

1 comment:

GC said...

You've done it before and you can do it again. Here's the proof:

http://mooseman08.blogspot.com/2007/11/inspiration-for-shawn.html

isn't it funny how you mentioned nachos in your comment on this post?

Nice bike ride! We will have to come out to join you when Matt starts his Timberman training.