Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Volume 10: Memorial Day Bike

Back in NJ! After a brief night's sleep, I awoke at 6:00am Monday morning to get ready to go to work...sigh. Working in retail really stinks at times. I go upstairs to tell Matt that I am leaving. He is still asleep...extra big SIGH. At least there was no traffic, so the commute was quick (50mins) and easy. I only had to work until 2:00pm, so the day went easily by. It was a gorgeous day and I was eager to get outside and enjoy it.

While I was working, Matt walked to downtown to watch the bike races. We have lived in Somerville almost 10 years and have never seen them. So, he decided to check it out. He didn't stay for all of them, but it was fun to watch for awhile. there were a couple good crashes. I can't imagine riding in those close packs of bikes. One wrong move and down they all go! Ouch!

Med tent


I arrived back home at 3:00. Matt loaded the bikes on the car while I changed my clothes & grabbed a quick bite to eat. Then we headed to Maija's house for a bike ride. We rode about 1 hour 43mins. It was a moderate course with a few manageable hills. We did 5X 6min intervals with 2min rest. I am enjoying these bike workouts very much. I like feeling strong and fast. I have been working on a faster cadence and seem to be picking it up a bit. I still probably spend too much time on the big ring, but that's were I feel powerful and like I am able to really kick it in when needed. I'll get there, I suppose....still so much to learn. We rode past a farm that raises buffalo. Kinda funny to look over and see buffalo in the field. Are we in Kansas or New Jersey? (Is there even buffalo in Kansas? One of those square states, right?) Although it was warm, the humidity was still low, so the temperature was quite enjoyable. Good times!!
Check out the buffalo!

Post ride self portrait


We finished up and visited with the dogs. Maija & I ate ice cream, Cooper & Frito had Frosty Paws, while Matt drank his chocolate protein drink. Then we went back home to relax and get to bed early.




I have to tell you that I had some ominous dreams last night. We had the fan in the window by
the bed as it was hot upstairs. As we predicted, the temperature dropped in the night and the breeze from the fan became cool. I suspect that is why I kept waking up. Each time, right before I woke up, I could see myself in my wetsuit standing in the water up to my waist in Newfound Lake. I guess it was the start of the swim, but I was completely alone. It was dark and I was shivering in the cold wind. Then I would wake up. Kinda creepy, right?? No worries, though. I know that the morning of June 6th is going to be bright and beautiful...no matter what the weather is!

4 comments:

m said...

I was thinking the buffalo would be at Yellowstone in Wyoming.

Thanks for coming out to bike and taking pictures! I was tired and feeling lazy, so it was good to have you guys out there with me to push me. And have fun seeing the buffalo.

silent_scream said...

What you were dreaming about was really me, the LAST person coming to the finish line at NewFoundland :(

GC said...

It's all about making it across the finish line. First place, last place.....matters not. You will be out there doing your best. That's what it's really all about!!

SJV said...

Is Silent Scream doing the whole race? Have I missed this news?