Thursday, July 30, 2009

Timing is Everything

Having looked at the elevation profile of the run course and finding it hillier than I remembered, then thinking back to Casey saying "That course was just uphill and more uphill" or something to that effect, I am actually concerned about our intrepid team making the 3-hour deadline. That right there is going to be the race for us, either way. If we beat the deadline, then I say we're home free. If we miss the cut, then it's over. We will bust our humps to make it, of course, but our humps may not be big enough to hold all the energy we need to make this on time.

I know it seems hard to imagine for anyone who runs that this course couldn't be completed in 3 hours, but I assure you we will be running nearly the whole time, and we will still be pushing the clock.

It would be best if it isn't terribly hot in the morning. What other variables beyond my control can I also wish for?

5 comments:

Ray Doolittle said...

Just my 2 cents -- there are two noticable hills that I can recall -- one is about six miles into the run (that's a big appoximation, but you'll know it when you see it); the other is going up to the crest of the Dam. Other than that, I seem to recall the run the run being extremely flat, and even primarily downhill after you get past the Dam.

I would suggest walking on those two uphills and using that time as major refueling points, catch your breath, and then go on stronger from there.

You may even want to talk with Thad the night before and ask if you could be allowed to continue on "unofficially" just to finish if you should miss the cut-off -- use the bike and swim to try to pull yourself back inside the cut-off "windows". If he agrees, it may be a load off your mind and let you rest easier the night before.

I hope you guys all do well.

Ray

SJV said...

Yes, that's all good advice. I was definitely planning on walking up the hill leading onto the dam. That one just ain't gonna happen. And really any hill that exceeds a certain grade will make me walk whether I like it or not.

I had this vision of the last 4.5 miles as being pretty flat too, but Google sure doesn't think so! I hope you are more right than their maps. Maybe because you are actually physically fit, those hills seem flatter to you than they will to me.

We will mention to Thad that we might be close to three hours, but we are really going to give our best shot, and we should make it. We also think that we will not be last by the end of the race if we are allowed to continue, at least based on the last couple years. The run is our weakest link. Once we're over that, we think we'll be fine.

If you are right about the elevation, we will be good to go. We're like semi-trucks. Slow on the hills, but good on the flats. We just get low fuel mileage.

Hope you do well too!

m said...

I walked the hill up to the dam to. I think it is the smartest approach. You save a little energy there walking and get a little rest to recharge.

Ray Doolittle said...

So...

How did things go for everyone?

catmarlson said...

Plenty of pictures and reports will be posted.
I'm hoping that if I stop at the Y tomorrow I can pick up a list of the results.