Monday, July 6, 2009

Swim Focus

As I've said many times before, I love swimming. I don't know why exactly, it's not like I get in the water and speed like I've got a motor. Maybe it's because I believe I can get much better than I am right now. So how do I make this happen?
I've felt my biggest improvements have occurred during/after my sessions with Coach Q. So I looked at my schedule and found 5 or 6 sessions between now and Timberman. So here I go. Another attempt to raise my game in the pool.

In my email to him, I said that I was only interested in working on freestyle for triathletes on a 1500m distance. I don't care about flip turns, open turns or anything else. Yes these things will help your time in a pool and maybe keep your flow. I'll worry about that when I finally have flow to keep.

Some of the things I'm thinking about going in.
1) How to build a kick. My kick is awful. In my opinion 50m is too far for me to kick drill as I just lock up and practice a horrible kick.

2) I think I'm trying to muscle the swim too much. (and quite possibly I'm not using the right muscles either). I don't think my pull is efficient and it's rushed. I feel like he did a good job helping me with this before. I'm looking forward to revisiting this.

3) I'm sure he will find plenty wrong in my swimming in just 25m. I'm going to make sure to have him watch me swim 200+, I'd like to hear what he thinks happens to my stroke once I fatigue. Do I get lazy and completely change something? Or do I really fatigue.

4) Speaking of fatigue. Weights for swimmers. I'm curious what exercises he suggests for dryland training.

Of course I have a million questions, I always do. I'm not expecting the lessons to be structured around these exact issues. Yet I'm hoping after 5 or 6 sessions, I'm no longer wondering where I am with these things.

No comments: