Sunday, July 26, 2009

Rainy finish to a great day

I'm sitting on the back porch while the rain is pouring and the thunder and lightening are booming. I love summer rain storms.

After a rather "off-schedule week" resulted in my having 3 "rest days" and feeling tired and lazy, today turned out to be a good day for training. I did a bike-swim-run. After sleeping in well past our alarm this morning, Matt & I started out for a bike ride around 11am. We had planned on doing 2 loops of the Buckman course, but only got in 1 loop (16miles) due to rain. My legs felt so sluggish (my right hamstring/glut was acting up), but it was good practice to ride in the rain.

Then we headed to the pool to get our swim in. I just picked a workout from my swim binder. It was 2800m. My swim felt good today. We stayed focused and on task...holding true to the rest intervals, etc. I used fins for the 4x100's and the 200 kick. then it was 3x200. I did the first 200 w/o fins and kept pace with Matt. Wow! That's never happened before! I put the fins on for the last 2x 200's and Matt used the pull buoy. I still kept pace with him. The main set finished out with 12x25m fast on the 40. I worked hard on these to stay focused on my stroke using the tips Matt passed along from his last swim lesson with coach q. It was a great feeling to be able to hold my own during our swim today. Let's see how long it lasts!

After dinner we both we did a short run. Matt went 5miles. I ran 3miles. I wanted to see how my legs would do after the bike and swim earlier today. I was pleasantly surprised. Finished the 3miles feeling strong, with good legs at an 8:40pace. It started to rain again during our cool-down walk.

So, I am ending my day feeling better than I did at the start of it. Hopefully this bodes well for strong results at the Tango and Timberman!

5 comments:

catmarlson said...

Genine is being modest. She beat me easily on our fin set.
On the 200s with fins and I had the buoy I was surprised how closely I was able to stay. It was much more comfortable doing that than using fins. (my kick is awful obviously)
On the 12x25 she beat me to the wall on all 12.

Genine = Awesome

silent_scream said...

no kidding. Genine- you're a mad woman.
FYI- depressing news Matt, my new swim instructor said that 70% of the propulsion in swimming comes from the kick. It is my quest this year to figure that out ....
Good luck at the tango!

m said...

Go Genine! You rocked the workout! I know the swim team warms up with fins...maybe that would be something to try for you??? Since you carried fast swimming on after???

catmarlson said...

"70% of the propulsion in swimming comes from the kick."

Maybe that's not so depressing, once I have a kick, I'm going to be flying!

esther said...

way to go, G! i knew you'd be a super swimmer!