Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Midweek rambling

I went to Jack Rabbit earlier this week to look at my gait and see if my current running shoes are still the right shoe for me. Sadly, I wasn’t sold on what the guy was telling me. Basically he didn’t seem to think there was any difference between running in my Stability shoe or a Neutral shoe. Whatever, I can live without knowing what the deal is there. Or I can go back some other day and get another person to take a look.
The other part that was nice was I got to look at both feet on the video. I was concerned that my right foot might be moving oddly because of my injury. We didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary.

I did get a bit of a trick from the sales guy, which might help me with my heel rub when running sockless. I need to lace up my shoes differently so that my heel doesn’t slide as much. I’m not sure if it will work with bungee laces yet but it definitely worked with standard laces. Here is a link showing different ways to lace your shoes to try to make them more comfortable for you.

I did try on about 4 different shoes. He didn’t see a difference in my running between any of them….
This is the pair that I thought was the most comfortable. Other than the fact my heel was slipping a bit Thus the lacing trick to fix that problem.

I did try on the Zoot shoe as well. I don’t think that’s going to happen for me. I know they are supposed to be super light for racing. I just felt like I was running barefoot and I’m not sure that’s a good thing for me. Maybe if I weighed 120-130 pounds I wouldn’t feel that the extra cushioning is necessary. Or if I was a Chi Runner. I think I'll stick with the thick cushion.

I got my Wednesday morning track workout in. 7x400 on 5K pace. Unfortunately I didn’t remember where I put my watch. So I don’t know what my splits were. Not a big deal, my goal here was to pace well and get through all 7 of them without feeling as if I might injure myself. I’d prefer not to have the hip flexor issues again this year. I also have plenty of time before my next race. I’ll just keep building it up. It definitely feels good to be pushing the pace.

2 comments:

m said...

The Zoots are not that light anyhow, you would be better off buying a "real" lightweight cushioned (or motion control if needed) training shoe and it would be same weight and half the price.

m said...

http://www.runningunlimited.com/asp/product.asp?pid=1102
An example, these have a little more beef to them then mine.