Monday, July 27, 2009

Great Finish to a Rainy Race

Not me of course, but Eleanor. She took 2nd in the annual Rainday 1 mile run. She broke 9 mins. It was like a 8:34. Levi was a minute behind her (which was awesome for him). They both took 2 mins off of last years time. I didn't even work with them. Oh, yea Eleanor ran in a pair of sandals because my mom & dad had forgot her tennis shoes in Warren. Just think that probably cost her first Place. Maddy walked the 5k pushing Dinah in a stroller (46 min +) and my mom also walked (near 45 mins, best female 60 and over, she was only 30 seconds behind the 60+ female runner winner).

I ran a 24:55 (8:03 pace). First mile 7:45, Second 8:32, last 1.1 miles 8:35 (translates to a 7:48 pace for the last segment). I got comfortable or I wanted to be comfortable running with the people around me in the second mile. Didn't pay much attention to the watch until I hit the 2nd mile marker, than Ohh crap, this is gonna hurt. Last little hill at the end, I couldn't hang with the two high school kids next to me. I ran a 23:10 at this race last year. Not too disappointed, would have liked to be closer to 24, didn't plan to rock the world at this race or go for any kind of PR, too hilly.

Important stuff. Biked 28 miles yesterday. The 20 mile mark I was just under 1 hour 20 mins. This ride was hillier than the Tango will be, but not as gravel filled. Over 1,100 ft of climbing. The first hill was over 600.

I bonked in the last 5 miles or so. Any little hill I was down shifting for the granny gear. Took no sugar packs with me, only water. That was probably a mistake. When my heart rate got up, my legs were useless. Low heart rate on flats, still could pound pretty good. Need to think eat at the 45 minute mark in the Tango to have the punch at the end of the bike.

Matt, I tell you this to say My goal is still 1:10, but it looks like a 1:15 or so. I hope I ain't bragging.

Oh, shoes worked great. My left foot was a little uncomfortable at first, but as I went it felt better. Might have been a little residual calf thing from the race on Saturday, once I was totally warmed up not a problem. I would much rather ride the road bike uphill. If only I would buy the rims and tires for the cyclocross. Maybe next year, with enough time to test.

2 comments:

SJV said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SJV said...

Great job to all the Cerras! You guys are a bunch of runnin' fools. Did you score a bunch of swag this year?