Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A little inspiration

Cooked out on the grill last night. Did deer steaks, corn & small potatoes cut in half. Excellent. That wasn't the inspiration, even though it could be.

Tamara took kids to Vacation bible school at 6:30. I went to my haircut at 6:30. I get back a little after 7 pm. I take Dinah to the neighbors who haven't seen her much since she was born. We visit. I get back to the house at 7:30. Put Dinah down for a mid evening nap. I get ready to run. Tamara says "You will be back to get the kids from VBS". "Sure", I say. 7:45 start run. I set timer for 15 mins to tell myself to turn around at this point no matter how far I am to assure I am back by 8:15 to pick kids up at 8:30.

I realize I can get to the top of the big hill in 15 mins, so I really go out hard, thinking I can always take it easy on the way back. 10 mins into run, Heh, here comes Missy Rose, Man, she is going early to pick up kids from VBS, maybe she wants to visit with someone.

Got to top of hill 14:37. Turn around, burning pretty good, I walk until the timer goes off. Start to jog again. Going pretty good. Car comes by full of kids. I think those kids are in VBS with my kids. White GMC, Missy Rose, coming towards me. AHHHHHHH Crap. Switch off Chrono to time, it is 8:07.

You guess it yet, VBS is over at 8:00 not 8:30. I start to haul. I didn't tell Tamara which way I was going, the baby is napping, I promised to be back. Run, Forest, Run. Another car full of kids I recognize. I am 1/2 mile from home, kids are 1.5 miles on the otherside.

Come hauling up the driveway, both our cars are still there. Run in door, no cooldown, reach for keys. I yell "I'm sorry". Tamara appears from other room. "I took care of it" She says she realized it ended at 8:00 around 7:59 and called the church and Rob was bring the kids home. Then she looked a little paniced and said "Are you OK, don't have a heart attack on me".

I was panting. Definately had the heart up to race speed for the last 1/2 mile. I actually felt it in my legs this morning. That was a little inspiration, Panic. I knew she would take care of it, I was glad that we both had thought through it the wrong way.

A couple more like that and speed workouts will be nothing.

No comments: