Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Neither fantastic, nor damaging

I just thought I'd post since the boys seemed to be in the mood. Sounds like I should have been in Warren. Here is how things went for me lately:

On Wednesday last week, I ran 6.2 consecutive miles. I believe this is the longest uninterrupted run I have ever done. My goal was to run at whatever pace allowed that to happen. It worked. That was good.

On Thursday, I awoke to a sore foot. I decided to just walk a few miles to take it easy. By Thursday night, my foot had swollen up like I sprained my ankle or something, which I hadn't. The pain was on the top and outside of my foot.

On Friday, my family and I drove to DC for a short visit, and I ended up walking all over the place (in the same shoes that had allowed the injury to occur), getting steadily more painful as I went. By Saturday night, it was really unpleasant and swollen. I decided I better stop walking and probably needed to buy a new pair of shoes.

Sunday, I went on a 4-hour bike ride. I didn't map it, but it was probably around 50-55 miles. I was taking it easy, trying to do a level 1 or 2 ride. I have to take my camera out on these rides because they are so beautiful. The bike riding was perfectly comfortable. No foot issues or any other kind.

Monday I went swimming. Trying to avoid the weight-bearing stuff. I took the fins in an effort to develop the fin legs I need for the Tango. I love swimming with those. Again, no foot issues, and I rocketed through the water. Why can't we use those in triathlons? Later in the day I went to the local athletic shoe store where the guys are actually supposed to know what they are doing, and I tried on 5 pairs of shoes. I ended up buying Brooks Adreneline 9's. I have not tried running in them yet, but walking seemed very comfortable and level. I crush shoes, so I am looking for models that do not squish one way or the other. We'll see how these fare as I put them through the paces. I don't have a lot of time to change horses again, so I hope these feel as good down the road as they do know. Gotta run 17 miles in them less than 4 weeks from now.

Today I took it easy. Chores around the house, getting the kid where she was supposed to be, and then went to a swim meet all evening.

I am supposed to be ramping my running mileage up to 13, but I don't want to push this foot. The Tango could be quite an adventure indeed. My wife thinks I am going to permanantly cripple myself. I explained that I am rather durable. She wasn't buying it. Then again, I am over 40 now, so maybe I am toast.

No comments: