Sunday, July 26, 2009

Oh, the humanity!

I am never going to be so happy to get on a bike as I am at the Tango. It is going to be such a load off my poor knees and feet.

I could much more easily swim for two-and-a-half hours than I can run that long. Ugh. A half marathon is just too much running for a guy like me.

I ran 8 miles tonight, and that seemed like as much as I want to run. That is a new personal record for me. I have never had any reason to run more than 6 miles in the past. 13 miles is going to take forever. I'm going to get bored.

Is anyone taking bets on us finishing this thing? What are my odds? Can I get in on this action?

3 comments:

GC said...

Maybe we should put together a grid like people do for the Super Bowl. we can put finish times in each square and it can be $5 a box. And put the money collected toward the fundraiser for Nathan's fund.

We also have toyed with the math for the "story problem" of something like..."If train A (Amy&Fiona)is leaving State College at 7:00am and Train B (1/4ton tango)is leaving the YMCA at 7:00am, who arrives at Kinzua beach first?"

GC said...

Nice job on the 8miles, by the way! Not sure if there is a rule in the Tango about no headphones. If you can use an ipod, I highly suggest it. It helps keep me moving and it a good step in the fight against boredom on the run.

SJV said...

Yeah, I am considering the iPod, but I fear that would be somewhat anti-social of me, considering I am running with someone. I'm not sure if they are legal at the Tango either, though it seems likely that no one would care. It isn't a USAT event. On the other hand, there is a safety concern there, though the back roads of Warren may not be the most dangerous. Still, it only takes one idiot to wipe you out.

I almost got driven off the road on Sunday by a guy coming the other way! He was completely on my side of the road, sightseeing or something. I was inches from his mirror, but I was already nearly in the ferns. Again, the clipless pedals nearly did me in. It is much easier to shift your weight quickly with loose feet.

Maybe the iPhone on speaker would be good. We could jam to some Gaelic Storm together while keeping our ears open. I know iPhones won't be legal during orienteering, but they should be okay during the run. Of course every precious ounce counts, so maybe we'll just have to chat. We can make rolling assessments of our pace, constantly calculating when we have to be where. If we aren't crossing the Dam by 9AM, we might be toast, for example.