Friday, July 24, 2009

Beyond Limits

I talked to Craig this morning, and we discussed estimations of finishing the Tango, as well as lodging issues and training ideas. He thinks the Quarter-Ton Tango can make it in 11 hours, while his team is shooting for 8 or better. Upon describing what I've been doing lately to prepare, I was met with uncomfortable silence. I interpreted these silences to mean something akin to "you are going to kill yourself" or possibly, as my wife has prognosticated, to become "permanently crippled."

My training has been...shall we say...lackluster.

So here's my new philosophy: We enter races like this to push ourselves beyond our limits, to get out of our comfort zones, to see what the human body can do. If we train to successfully handle such an endeavor, then we don't go beyond our limits!

Anyone who finishes this race looking good has clearly not gone out of their comfort zone!

I am taking the charge of being utterly unprepared for this race seriously. No one can make me prepare myself! I won't have my body defiled with some pesky training and so-called aerobic fitness. Nay, I shall undertake this race with the least possible understanding of what I need to do, how fast I can go, when I've gone too far, or how to nutrify and hydrate myself. Indeed, I shall not rest until I am totally, hopelessly unprepared. Hey, not resting might be part of my new training plan too!

I might even pack on a few extra pounds just to give myself a little extra challenge. Let's see anyone try to weigh more than me on race day. I dare ya!

4 comments:

Jim said...

I like the way you think. Keeping with that mind set, I'll see you in the DNF tent or the hospital!!

I really hope not, but that does seem to have some (all) of the same ingredients of the recipe that you are cooking up!!

catmarlson said...

Consider this a training event for the Timberman 70.3 and suddenly it looks like you are training too hard.

SJV said...

No, Jim! I will succeed. I will be out of my comfort zone in the first 10 minutes!

I will be beyond my limits by the one-hour mark!

After that, it's all glory, baby!

Ten more hours of beautiful, clarifying, joyous suffering.

CSquared said...

The goal is not DNF, it is IV Bags waiting at the finish!

GO Quarter Ton!