Friday, July 17, 2009

great week - great workouts

This past week at the farm has been the perfect mix of relaxing, mowing, projects, family time, alone time and....fun workouts. My favorite by far was today's Timberman Half bike course. Since Matt outlined the ride, I won't go into details except to say that I love riding my bike! While the course obviously was challenging, the long stretch on 106 was awesome. It felt great to have plenty of room on the birm, smooth pavement and miles upon miles to hammer away. I held on to Matt pretty well for the majority of the ride. He dropped me on the last long hill. I decided that I couldn't allow that to happen, so on the last mile+ I went into full sprint (about 23.5mph on the incline) to catch him as we made the turn to the park road. Whew! After today's ride, I think I'm going to feel cheated doing the Timberman sprint bike.....15 miles?? What's that all about??

We also got in everybody's favorite Mooseman course with a few extra miles added with a trip to Sculptured Rocks at the start on Monday and several of good swims at Newfound. How is it that I can get so excited about swimming in that lake? I need to figure out a way to channel those emotions when I am back at SVY next week! Although let me just say that vertical kicking in the lake sans wetsuit is tough.

My running took a back seat this week. I did get in 3miles on Wednesday night. We went to the walk/run trail in Bristol. I did my first mile at 8:30pace/ second mile at 8:50ishpace and third mile at 9:30pace. Hamstrings & gluts gave me major grief....sigh. I guess they were ready for Wednesday night track workout instead.

In my opinion, there never seems to be enough relaxing time at the beach. I'm hoping that the Monday after Timberman is sunny & beautiful so we can plop our chairs in the sand and just hang at the beach....all day and do nothing...well maybe a little recovery swim! ;-)

Here are some fun pics of the ice cream place we stopped at after Wednesday's bike. It was homemade and yummy, although we both agreed that the Jordan's homemade ice cream that we had post race at Mooseman was better. Luckily, they will be having Jordan's post Timberman. The actual ice cream place is on the bike course on 106. I told Matt that Amy, Fiona and I will be heading there while he & Shawn are racing!! :-P



1 comment:

m said...

The Fried Clams sign at the ice cream place makes it seem just a little less appetizing. Just a little.

Glad you had a nice vacation and finally got the ride done!