Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Almost Ruined it all

Almost ended my triathlon season Sunday. I was in Warren, sorry Jim didn't have much free time to run around, and the kids were jumping off the dock. "Come on dad, do it with us". All right here I come. Running down the deck, I decide to really plant it and fly out far. The deck is composite and at this time wet. Of course the dock is trimmed with a nice piece of aluminum.

Long story short, I slipped on the composite deck at plant time, lucky for me the slip ended when my foot rammed against the aluminum, instant pain. Of course this made me lean back instead of forward, fortunately my head missed the side of the deck by inches. I hit the water, my foot was screaming. All I could think was "Triathlon season over".

I have been able to walk without a limp, but the black and blue mark is nice and the swelling was less today. I had a five mile race planned for this coming Friday, we will see.

I plan to do the real test tonight on a run. I should be OK.

I did not do the bike course for the TANGO when I was in Warren, too much other stuff to take, but I did do an open water swim from the Marina to the Bridge, without the wetsuit, felt good. I did this after I hurt my foot, so my foot couldn't be too bad.

I was never so thankful that the water was cold five feet under the surface.

A guy at work already pointed out that I can still do these things in my thirties, but when I hit forty it is all over.

1 comment:

SJV said...

Good luck, man. You don't need all your toes to run! Sucks when trying to have fun hurts more than working or doing nothing. I hope I get a chance to jump off a few docks with you this summer.