Friday, July 17, 2009

Timberman Bike practice

So we went over to the Timberman Course for the 2nd time this week. Wednesday we didn't do enough homework to be able to ride the course without wrong turns. So we ended up doing all of the hills and none of the flat stuff (26 miles). Then we got back to the car and drove the course.

Today, it was less windy and we knew where we were going. I have to say I had my concerns. When we drove the course the other day it seemed like a long drive. How long will the bike ride feel like?
Well the good news is that we didn't make any wrong turns today. So we got to the long straight "flat" section about 30 minutes faster than we would have on Wednesday. (Note to Shawn the part on 107 on the way out is the toughest section).
Much of 106 is repaved and is a great ride. Genine was having a blast. She hung with me the whole way. (G=tough cookie). Really the only section where I think I dropped her was the uphill on the way back on 11A.
The worst road is 11B. That section my arms were taking a beating in the drops. The only smooth part is the center of the lane to the double line. Fortunately it's a short stretch.
When I got back to the lot, I figured I had better try to run a bit. So I pull on my running shoes and head up the road. My legs felt ridiculously huge, like each of them were the size of my torso. I didn't have my footpod on, so I don't know my pace. I don't think I ran more than a mile. Just enough to know that my legs will in fact be willing to run after that bike.

I had predicted awhile back that it would take me 3:15:00 do finish the bike. Today we finished in 3:17:31.
So I looked up some of our friends finishing times and found times from 2:53:00 to 3:13:00. I've got some work to do...

1 comment:

m said...

Good job! It always goes faster in a race! That 2:53 was me?? I was totally unprepared for that one. You will be much better trained for it!