Friday, June 12, 2009

10 weeks to Timberman Half Iron

The obvious post here is, YIKES!!
It was only just recently that I thought about this fact. I finished the Mooseman in about the time I’ll be spending just on the bike at Timberman. Which then led me to think about making some early estimates for the race.
Swim: 40 minutes
Bike: 3 hours 15 min?
Run: 2 hours 10 min?
That puts me at 6:05:00. How many GU and Ciff Bars is that? How well does a grilled cheese sandwich travel in a bento box?

One thing is certain, I need to put a training schedule together this weekend and I need to follow it as closely as I can. Genine is looking forward to the long bike rides. I’m looking forward to getting back on track. I’d like to get to this race healthy and knowing I put out a good training effort to get it done. Otherwise I’m not going to know whether or not I enjoy this distance of racing. It should also give me a bit of an idea about whether I’d enjoy doing the full tango.

The 2nd part of getting back on track is getting serious about my eating. I don’t eat poorly now. It’s just that I eat too much. I’ve got to get back to logging what I eat. Nothing makes it more obvious than numbers on a page. With fitday.com it’s incredibly simple, it’s just a matter of sticking with it.

10 weeks isn’t a very long time. That’s practically “short term goal” time frame. “Lack of time” is often the excuse to not getting these things done. I think “lack of priority” could actually trump time in many cases. If not it’s a close 2nd.
I bring this up because I’ve been staying up too late recently and I haven’t been able to wake up at 5AM to get my morning workouts in. Although I prefer to workout at night, the pool schedule doesn’t fit my plan M-F. I need to swim in the morning so I don’t get stuck swimming at 8:30-9:30 at night. It’s an awesome way to start the day anyhow. I’m looking forward to getting that happening again.

To do list:
1) Create training schedule
2) Start Tracking foods on fitday
3) Go to bed earlier

Just looked at the results from Timberman 2008. 6:05:00 would place me about 888th place out of 1500 people. Serious middle of the pack. Guess I’ll find out later if I’m under-estimating.

3 comments:

SJV said...

Yikes is right. Sheesh. I have been working at it, but not nearly enough. As most of you know, my goal is lose as much weight as possible before the race so as to reduce my efforts moving my mass around. Comically, I don't have a scale, so I can't tell on a regular basis how I'm doing, but that may change soon.

Following Matt's lead, here's my optimistic estimate...

Swim 45 min.
Bike 3:30
Run 2:25

Expanded...

Swim: 45 min. (I don't think this part is terribly optimistic. It is 30% longer than the Mooseman, which I did in 33 minutes. I added 11 minutes (33%), and gave myself an extra minute because I'm a generous guy.)
Bike: 3:30 (This is averaging 16 mph. I think that's doable, especially after my killa summer workouts. I have never really run out of gas in either the swim or bike, so I think it's reasonable to expect to maintain a steady pace through them. The overall duration is still in question. I have been at or above 16 in nearly all my Olympic races.)
Run: 2:25 Umm...I am going to blow this out at a scorching 11 minute/mile average. I will be able to do this because I am so light and lithe, like a really big greyhound.

So that puts me at 6:40. That would be in the low 1200's out of over 1500 participants. I would be totally satisfied with that, but I'll see if I can do better. Then again, I could easily do worse. As long as I make it to the finish before the cut-off, and live to tell the tale, I'll be happy.

SJV said...

I think Matt is full of poop, too. He is being way too pessimistic about his awesomeness. The swim might be close, but I bet he'll beat that number. The bike is going to be 15 minutes off. He's going to make it under 3 hours here. Gu it up, hydrate, and roll on down the road. His run is going to be under 2 hours too, so I think he is just trying to lowball himself so he looks like a winner come race day. I, on the other hand, am going to look like a loser no matter what, so I prefer to be optimistic and shoot for the moon. If I beat those estimates, I will be sittin' pretty. I wouldn't bet on it. I would gladly put money on Matt beating his.

catmarlson said...

I have no clue how to estimate the bike. Following a swim, a 56 mile bike race followed by a half marathon.

I just don't know how to pace it. I tried to do a better job at Mooseman. I ended up being slightly slower and my quads were still hurtin when I got to the run.

My best 13.1 or running was at the Tango in 1:50:00, it was the first event and I was cramping up at the end.

Maybe I'm sandbagging my estimations, guess that's why we have to go do it.