Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Genine's Mooseman 2009 Race Report

It’s funny. You would think the words to describe this race would flow easily, but that is not the case. Maybe it’s because I have so many feelings that I am not sure where to begin. This past Saturday was the culmination of so many months of training, focus and emotions that I still can’t quite believe that the event is over already. Mooseman 2009 is complete. It as marked in my book as a success with many lessons learned.

Matt and I arrived in NH on Wednesday. I always look forward to being at the farm. It seems to put my soul at ease. Which is exactly what I needed as the next few days leading up to the race would be a bit frenzied with preparations for pre and post race festivities. Thankfully, my mom was flying up for the weekend. Matt picked her up at the airport Thursday morning and we immediately got busy preparing enough food and cookies to feed all of Bristol, NH for a month….and that’s just the cookies! First lesson learned: next year the post race party at the farm will be dessert/fruit/coffee/tea only, as the food at the race site was ample and delicious. This will allow for many less hours required in the kitchen and more time relaxing before racing.

We did manage to squeeze in some time to get to the lake Thursday afternoon to get a 30-45min swim practice in. The water felt good, not nearly as cold as I had expected. I quickly remember how beautiful Newfound Lake is with its crystal clear water. What a magnificent gift! I must say I truly enjoyed my swimming and it was a much needed confidence booster. Shawn arrived late Thursday evening. We chatted for a bit a then headed to bed around midnight.

Friday was another busy day of food preparation. Shawn, Matt and I went to the lake around 2:00pm so that Shawn could do a test run with his new wet shirt, but we were turned away at the gate. With all of the final set up at the race site, they were not allowing anyone in the park until 5:00pm for packet pick up. So back up to the house to prepare dinner for that night and get my race bag together. Back to the beach at 5:00pm for packet pick up. I got my packet and looked inside: swim cap, time chip, bike numbers, bib number…Gulp! This is all for me…I’m doing ALL 3 events tomorrow!! Whoa…I did a bit of a reality check and then immediately went to the souvenir tent for some retail therapy! I purchased the Mooseman bike jersey I had been eyeing up on their website recently. Very cool! We ran into the C5 crew at the table. They had just got in to town and were excited about the big event. Then we checked out the new transition layout and finish line. We walked down to the beach to see the swim in/out. The orange buoys in the water were all the way out to the island! Oh crap!

We arrived back at the house to find Adam already there. We got dinner ready and just as we were sitting down to eat, Maija pulled up the drive way. Hooray! Everyone was now here safely. We had dinner and then celebrated my mom’s 60th birthday with her choice of angel food cake. With dinner cleaned up, last minute chatting and race preparations complete, everyone made their way upstairs to bed with Matt & I shutting off the lights around 11:00pm.

My alarm was set for 4:15am and 4:30 to ensure enough time for a 5:15am departure. Sound sleep was not in the cards for me that night. I’m sure it was nerves even though I didn’t really feel too nervous. I think I got maybe 2-3 hours of sleep…maybe. Alarm went off and I went downstairs to eat some breakfast and fill bike bottles. All of my normal morning foods were sitting like a rock in my stomach…can’t eat. No worries, it’s still early. I took a PB&J, cliff bar and banana with me. I’ll eat once I get transition set up. I drank some water and then went to get dressed. Out the door on time. We pulled into the beach parking lot at 5:30 to find the lot almost full. Good thing we were on time! As soon as Matt parked the car, I ran for pit stop #1. I got back to the car, got everything together and walked over to transition. What a beautiful morning! It was cool and sunny with no humidity. I had a good spot as it was close to the bike in/out. I began laying all my stuff out and felt strangely alone. Everyone’s spots were far away. Matt’s was all the way across transition from mine. I didn’t really get to see him until we were walking down the beach to the swim start. I ate ½ of my cliff bar on the walk (PB&J and banana were still in my bag). I also had 1 gu with me which I consumed 15 minutes prior to my swim. Second lesson learned: ½ an English muffin w/ pb&apple, 2 bites of cereal, ½ a cliff bar and 1 gu is not a substantial pre-race meal.

We got in to test the water. Oh man! It was freakin’ cold! I did adjust a bit after a few minutes. Then it was back out to wish Matt good luck as his wave was on deck, and wait for mine to start 16minutes later. I chatted with Maija (until her wave started) and my mom. I really have to go to the bathroom…too late now…try to forget about it. Then I found Shawn and we got in the water again while we waited….still cold. Then it was my time…THE time…swim start. I saw Ruth at the swim start, we waded into the water along with Shawn. I wished them good luck and began to focus. I CAN do this. I am proud to announce that there was no dog paddling in this race!! I went at a not all out, but steady & determined pace. The clear water made it easy to spot the other swimmers and I found my own space and just swam. I got a cramp in my right calf while trying to pass someone on the way back, so I stopped that and went back to small kicks & smooth strokes. I still can’t believe that I made it all the way out and back in 30:12. It leaves me a bit hopeful for future swims. Third lesson learned (from my very wise and handsome husband): Focus on swimming to one buoy at a time. It works!

I got out of the water feeling pretty good except for my right calf and numb, cold feet. I got out of my wetsuit easily, minus my cap & goggles which got stuck in the sleeve. Oh well, at least they won’t get lost! T1 was slow for me. I think mostly because of my cold feet. But I got on to the bike easily and started out on my most anticipated leg of the race.

I took my time at the start of the bike, spinning quickly to try to warm up my legs. It was a bit breezy and they felt cold and on the verge of cramping, in addition to my cold feet. Still have to go the bathroom, but decided to wait until T2. I was encouraged about many aspects of my bike. The hills didn’t seem quite as ferocious as last year and each landmark seemed to come upon me quicker than I remember….both good things. I ate 1 Gu at the start of my ride and another at about mile 18ish. I was so hungry that my stomach was growling…not good. But I had to keep pushing. I passed many and there were a few people that I pushed to keep in my sights, playing my own mental challenge to keep focused and fast. One of them was my new “bike BFF”, Ken #558. We traded off leading each other through about ¾ of the ride. I came back into the park just ahead of him. At the dismount he shouted, “hey, nice ride!” I said thanks and we thanked each other for providing the extra incentive to push hard. The funny thing is that while I did push hard, I don’t feel that I ever really put it ALL out there. I was afraid that my cold, numb legs would seize up on me and that would be the end. So, I finished the ride feeling strong, but like there is still room to improve my time. And as a reminder…yes, I still have to go to the bathroom but figure what’s 1 more hour? If it’s really bad there is port-a-potties on the course. I wasn’t sure how far behind me Shawn was (his bike wasn’t in transition yet, so I know he was still out there), but I don’t want Adam to catch me on the run. Fourth Lesson learned: Only ¾ of a water bottle on the bike is not enough hydration, nor are 2 packets of Gu enough to sustain me to the finish line.

As I ran into transition with my bike, I could here Ruth, Alexa and my mom cheering for me. So nice to hear…thanks guys! My hamstrings and hips were tight/sore from the bike. I put my running shoes on, but I couldn’t really feel my feet as they were still so cold. Not good. As I ran out of T2, I saw Adam waiting for Shawn. He yelled, “Looking good! Only 6.5 miles to go! You can do it!” I told him I would see him soon when he caught up and passed me!

The run went exactly as I expected…well, almost. At about 1mile, I saw Matt on his way back in. He looked good and I shouted for him. He said he was doing all right. Then not even a ½ mile later, I saw Maija. She was moving fast (like a pink bunny!). We slapped hands and I told her she was quickly moving in to catch Matt. My pace was between 9:45 and 10:15 miles the entire distance. The stabbing pain in my right hip made sure that I didn’t go any faster. And I walked most of the up hills and water stations to give my hamstrings and calves a good stretch. What I didn’t expect was the gnawing hunger in my stomach, the still growing pain my bladder and the inability to pull any “mind over matter” with myself to push my body. My legs refused to respond. So, I had no choice but to run at my current pace. The last 2 miles became increasingly difficult, but I kept putting one foot in front of the other….again reciting my intensati affirmations.

As I ran down the little hill on to the beach, across the sand (ugh) and into the chute to the finish line, I said this is it….PUSH!! So, I did. And the harder I pushed, the clearer it became that I was about to throw up. Oh no!!! That can’t be happening! Not here, not now in this most anticipated moment…in front of all these people with cameras! I ran across the finish line ( I remember hearing the announcer say my name), saw Matt’s face, and then the rest was a blur of people yelling to take off my time chip, handing me a water bottle, etc…while I was franticly searching for a garbage can. I ran to the first one I saw in the finisher’s food tent. As I bent over the can, I immediately started to dry heave. The tears swelled in my eyes. This is not how I envisioned my finish at Mooseman. Matt found me and asked if I was ok. I stood up. I think I’m ok, as long as I don’t move for a second. I picked up some watermelon and ate that. It tasted so good. Ok, let’s walk I said. We found Maija in line at the massage tent. I was starting to feel better and thought about getting a massage, but the line was too long. I opted to soak my hips/legs in an ice bath (aka: the lake). I waded out into the cold water up to my waist. It was then, standing by myself in that beautiful lake, that the emotion of the day overtook me. Tears streamed down my cheeks as vivid visions rushed into my brain. Instantly, I could see Judy sitting on the beach digging her feet into the sand. I looked out over the water and pictured Matt tossing Nathan high into the air to come splashing down into the water with an ear-to-ear grin begging for another turn. Despite the numbingly cold temperature, I could feel the warmth of Judy’s arms wrapped around me. I am so grateful for that moment and the opportunity to honor their lives through my race performance. I did the best I could do in the moment and I am proud.

The rest of the day was filled with good food and stories recounting the day’s events with our family and friends. It was all I had hoped for.

Thank you to Matt….my biggest cheerleader, confidence builder and tech support. Where would I be without you? Probably frozen with fear on the edge of Newfound Lake! Thank you, also, to all of the Mooseman racers, training partners (both near & far) and to our supporters. This is truly a special race to Matt and me. It is made even more meaningful knowing that you are all there by our side. And for that we are most sincerely grateful.

Until next year men and women of the Moose…..see you in 2010!

5 comments:

CSquared said...

Awesome!

You can always pee in the water, the people behind you will never know it was you.:)

Your swim was great. Keep it up!

GC said...

Once I was in the water, I was so focused on swimming that I forgot I had to go!! Dumb, right?

But my question still remains...if you pee in a wetsuit, aren't you insulated with a layer of urine against your body (and soaked into the tri shorts)until it seeps out of the suit into the water? Gross...

CSquared said...

As long is it is leaking behind you and not up you, the gross meter goes down a little, Yes very gross. I was kidding. Of course it would have been a little warmer for a brief moment on your feet.

m said...

That was a great race report Genine! Very sweet. You did great out there! You swam incredible! Buoy to buoy is the way to swim! I always pee in my wetsuit, I would bet at least 25% of the people there did too. Part of the sport :)

esther said...

what a beautiful and honest race report..you did a fantastic job! and i peed about 4 times in 2 minutes before my swim at the last tri!