Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The storm before the calm.

Wow! It’s been a bit of a whirlwind around here the last few days.
The bad news is that my allergies have come back with a vengeance and I’m going to the doctor again this evening to see about getting antibiotics again. It seems I can go from allergy attack to sinus infection in about 24 hours. I always have serious issues with pollen this time of year, I was remarking to Shawn how I somehow survived it last year. He then told me he seemed to remember I doubled up on the dosage. So I went back in the blog and sure enough, that is exactly what I did. A 24-hour pill every 12 hours. Wish I had read that 2 weeks ago!! Well hopefully I’ll be back on track in the next day or so.

As some of you know, I’ve been dealing with car repairs over the last 5-6 weeks as well. A/C repair. Radiator. Front Brakes. Shocks/Struts. Bad Wheel bearing. Windshield replacement. Well just when we thought we were finished, our new windshield has a crack. I looked for a chip and saw nothing. So I called the windshield place and they said they could stop by Tuesday (today). I wasn’t going to be able to be home. But they said they could work on it in the driveway, so I said that was fine. Well he called to tell me it was a rock hit and it was going to be $200 for another windshield. Now I’m kicking myself for not being home when he came to find this out. I will forever be skeptical about this because I already looked for a chip / rock hit. So I told him I’d have to call my insurance company to check my deductible now that I’m on my 2nd windshield in 2 weeks. Of course the deductible is more than 2 windshields, whatever. I’m not going to tell him to install it until I’m home to see this chip he’s talking about. So that won’t happen until we get back from NH now.

Work is also keeping me plenty busy. We’ve moved into our new space and the settling in is going to take awhile. The biggest pain has been Internet. It was supposed to be installed the last week of April. A week or so ago they finally told us they couldn’t deliver the service we ordered to the building we’ve moved to. Then offered us a different product, which we agreed to. They didn’t give us a timeframe of when though. Finally last night I got an email saying 2nd week of September. LOL! I typed back “This date is a typo or some sort of joke right?” Her reply was “I’ll look into it”. The owners have been very patient with me and the problems we’ve been having getting our service going, they aren’t going to wait until September! So this problem is at the back of my mind again. Fortunately I got an email today saying they will be installing this week! Not convenient for me as I will not be there but I’m not going to risk rescheduling. I’ll have to do a bit of work over the phone is all while at the office
There are a ton of other problems at work that I’d like to be finished with but everything takes time and they will be there for me to work on once I get back. I’m fortunate that I’ve had Dave helping out with everything. I’ll be able to talk him through anything while I’m out.

So I’ll be hopping off the train soon. Picking up my new trainer wheel from the bike shop. (I couldn’t install the cassette). Head over to the Dr’s. Then get to packing up the car. Which means there probably won’t be time for a workout again! This is one heck of a taper!! It is not the ideal situation but what can you do? Life and work happen and sometimes your training falls off a bit as a result. I keep telling myself that perhaps it’s just giving my knee more time to heal. One thing is for sure. Mentally I am ready for Mooseman!!! I need a break and although this might not seem like a break to some, to me this is going to be one awesome weekend spent with friends and family.

2 comments:

CSquared said...

I almost strangled the phone guys when they updated our system. My admin assistant said she never heard me talk to someone that way before. They spent extra time making sure things were right, then proceeded to have us without phones for three days. Memories. I feel your pain.

Just remember you did all you could at this point. The rest will take care of itself.

catmarlson said...

The most obnoxious I've ever been was to my DSL provider at home. My service would disconnect briefly every 5-6 minutes. They refused to send someone to the house to check the problem, it was a "phone support" issue. Well after a few weeks of various attempts to adjust my setup, I decided I'd tell them I wasn't going to pay them until it's fixed. So I got to speak with a manager at that point. So he walked me through tech support on the phone.
Him: Disconnect all other phones in the house
Me: Ok this will take a few minutes. I put the phone down. Watched TV for about 10 minutes, picked the phone up "OK" done.
Him: Now power down the router.
Me: OK. back in a minute. 10 more minutes of TV. Pick up the phone. OK. Got it.
This went on for about 90 minutes. At the end of which he scheduled a tech to come to the house.

When the tech arrived. He found the problem in the wiring between the pole and the house. When he finished the work he says to me. "Can I ask you something? I've never seen this box "Presidential Complaint" marked on this form. What in the world did you do to make that happen?"
He got a good laugh out of the story when I explained it to him.

I still don't find the hours of time I've wasted on the phone with situations like that.