Thursday, June 18, 2009

Swimming in DC

"The average water temperature of the Potomac River in June is 72°F. Based on that, we anticipate that the race will be wetsuit legal, but the final determination will be made on race morning when the water is officially tested."

I've never had much concern
about the swim leg of a triathlon. I wonder how much my feelings would be changed if it were a non-wetsuit swim. (Genine has already said she will be angry if it isn't wetsuit legal).
I also wonder if I would place higher or lower compared to
everyone else.
I doubt I'm going to find out this weekend. I'm just thinking out loud here.

The bike course is a two loop course. I wonder if they will give you a split for each loop?

Olympic wave Starts:
6:00 AM

TOP WAVE

6:01 AM ParaTriathletes
6:03 AM MEN 40 & OVER
6:06 AM MEN 39 & UNDER
6:09 AM ALL WOMEN

I should have people to pass this race. I have to remember to keep pushing, instead of getting comfortable on someone else's pace.
There will be many women that are out of the water before me. (At Mooseman I didn't see the women until the run.)

I'm hoping the weather forecast keeps improving. It should be a fun day.

5 comments:

SJV said...

If I were to encounter a tri in which wetsuits are not allowed, I think I would have to bag it. I don't think I can swim that far without some kind of buoyancy aid. It would require me to kick my legs to keep them high enough to make forward progress, which would in turn make the swim too aerobically challenging for me.

The only option would be to put a very large anatomically shaped pool buoy in my pants and hope for the best. Who's gonna ask to see if it's real? Everyone knows that riding a bike reduces blood-flow to "the region" so that would explain why it no longer seems to be there for the run.

GC said...

Just in case anyone wants to know, I am doing the sprint on Sunday.

SPRINT DISTANCE SWIM WAVES
6:30 AM TOP WAVE
6:33 AM MEN 29 & UNDER, MEN 45 & OVER
6:36 AM MEN 35 - 44
6:39 AM MEN 30 - 34
6:42 AM WOMEN 39 & UNDER
6:45 AM WOMEN 40 & OVER

CSquared said...

Thank you Genine I wanted to know.

Anatomically correct - Front or Back? Who has a big old butt, Oh Yea!

m said...

I wanted to know Genine. If it is 72 early in the week, doubtful it will be nonwetsuit race. Wetsuit temp is 78. Pros wont get to wear wetsuits.

Hope the weather holds out! Should be a great race. Lots of people for you guys to pass!

SJV said...

I like the fake butt idea. I could get a lot of foam in those shorts like that. Let's do both. And throw in a little more gut too. I'll wear Genine's favorite thing on a guy, a unitard! Okay, I can do a no-wetsuit race now. Bring on the pros! I'll squash 'em like a rotten potato beneath an angry potato-stompin' gorilla.