Sunday, June 14, 2009

This Ain't Kansas

Time for another long bike ride. Here is what I did today. (I am putting these links in here for my own records, in case I want to try any of these again, or anyone else wishes to do one of them.) This ride appears to be a mere 23 miles, but let me say it was not any old 23 miles. I am a glutton for punishment. Yes, Craig, I am also just a glutton, but not today. Three major climbs, culminating in a 1400 foot gain from where I started. The last 8 miles is pretty freakin' sweet for a guy like me. I love ending a ride like that. Every ride I do is different, because I don't seem to like repetitive behaviors, and that has the advantage of giving me lots of new experiences, but I never know what I'm getting into when I start these things. That was a lot of hills. You guys know how I feel about hills, so this must be serious. I have to be ready for the Timberman. I want any hill I encounter to feel and look like a molehill. Yes, that's right; I am making molehills out of mountains. Some might agree that this sounds a lot like my life philosophy, so I guess it's appropriate. There will be no 1400 foot climbs in the Timberman, and if there are, I will dutifully pedal up them like any other daily ride.

This is all on top of a 90 minute high-speed trainer ride last night at 10PM. Gotta squeeze 'em in when I can get 'em. Looks like a good start to the next 10 weeks. Run tomorrow.

5 comments:

GC said...

Very cool about the bike rides! Is coach Troy your new bike BFF on the trainer yet?

Can't wait to hear how the run goes. I did 1.8 after our 2hr bike ride yesterday...ouch. The 3.6miles tonight was slow, but the pain was a bit more manageable.

SJV said...

I haven't been using the Troy disks lately. Just the iPod. I will probably pull out the disks soon and use them for variety, but now that the weather is warm, I like the natural variety of the real world. The rolling hills and rugged road conditions are good practice. Plus it's so dang mountainous around here, I think I get more of a workout sometimes doing the rural routes than I do in the house, although some of those Spinervals sessions can be pretty intense.

Hope you find something someday that alleviates your pain. I say try the Sambas.

GC said...

I agree - outside riding is best and so much more fun. the only way I can tolerate the spinervals dvd's is by using my ipod. I turn the volume down on the tv and just follow the gear shifting cues on the screen. Without the music, I go totally insane with boredom!

catmarlson said...

Good work!
Loving the new bike yet?

m said...

Keep up the good work Shawn!