Saturday, June 13, 2009

Timberman Plan

I guess because my Olympic distance races kind of got away from me this year. I'm going to take Timberman Half Iron training a bit more seriously than I originally planned.

For the run training I'm going to go with the Hal Higdon Intermediate Schedule using the last 10 weeks.
Then for the cycling. I think I'm going to follow the final 10 weeks of this plan.
Swimming, I plan on swimming 3-4 times a week. Maybe I'll use that Trinewbies as a bit of a guideline as to how much I should be swimming.
I definitely need to spend a bit of time putting each week together in advance, otherwise I could see myself just faking my way through this.

I've got my trainer tire on my new wheel, so I'll be able to put in the miles in the basement if I can't get out on the road.

To create some accountability. I'm going to bore all of you with my current weight every Sunday morning (if I remember). With all the workouts I do. It would be nice to not be carrying around a spare tire at Timberman. I know Shawn is also looking to drop weight. So I'm not alone in this endeavour.

Let's get this done Shawn!

1 comment:

SJV said...

I like the Hal Higdon plan. I would like to do the last 10 weeks of that too. I think I will pick that up tomorrow, but I might have to shuffle the days a little. I think I can get them in pretty close to what he suggests. All those rest days will probably be taken up with biking, swimming, and my ballistic 300 days. I'll try to get at least one good rest day per week with nothing in it. I don't have to try too hard. I usually have to try hard to avoid too many rest days.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about swimming. That's a little trickier for me. I don't have a coach, I don't have enough money for a coach, and I have a kid who is going to be out of school soon, meaning I can't leave her alone for hours at a time. I would like to get at least 2 days a week of swimming in, but it will mostly be just to keep my swimming muscles toned. I feel good enough about that part. I can pretty much swim all day at the pace I set in the Mooseman. Not lightning fast, I grant you, but sufficient. I passed people from two previous waves, and I felt fine at the end. It's hard to tell these things from glancing at the results, but it looks like if you wanted to find a page of people who, as a group, averaged a similar time to me, the high 400's to low 500's is about right, putting me a little below the middle, which I am pretty happy with. Let's say I'm 500 out of 850. So if the Timberman is as huge as last year, I might be looking at the low 900's in the swim out of a field of 1500 or more. That's 600 people who can pass me in the run!

I think I will be running 5 days a week, when I take the kid to swim team early in the morning. It's right next to the track, so I will be able to do all the speed work and measured quarter miles and stuff nicely there. I will occasionally run a 5-10k through hilly terrain in that time as well so I don't always have a nice soft flat surface underfoot.

My long bike rides will happen on weekends. I hope for a few more of those 4-hour beauties I got before the Mooseman. They really made the bike there seem short and easy. I'll do some 90 minute trainer rides on weekdays in the evenings too (approx. 25 miles).

Hey, this might actually work out. I might be short on the swims, but the key is weight loss and aerobic capacity-building. The swimming will take care of itself if I can get those other two things going.

I will try to post my plans as well because it will definitely help me to plan them out ahead of time too.