Thursday, June 18, 2009

On the track too.

Today was the start of my now daily morning track workouts. I did the 6x400 at 5K pace, or at least that was the idea. It went something like this:

1:43 (Too fast, unsustainable)
1:57 (Still too fast)
2:15 (Pretty close. I have sustained this in a 5K before, but probably couldn't now, due to fatness)
2:13 (Sticking with this)
2:12 (Looking good)
1:58 (Kicked it back in for the finale)

I would love to be able to do consecutive 8 minute miles at some point this summer, but I'm not there yet. Even nine-minute miles are a bit aggressive for me right now, it seems. 10-minute miles? Now we might be talking. I didn't try to go that slowly, but I'm sure I will when I do the longer runs. This daily running stuff should help everything a lot. Weight-loss, speed, endurance, muscle-building, metabolism. Hopefully I can also get some biking and swimming in later in most days, since I start so early, but it is definitely going to change my bedtime.

5 comments:

catmarlson said...

Nice!
It definitely takes awhile to find your pace for the track workouts.
I find track workouts to be a good mental boost... once they are over.

GC said...

Vash this is AWESOME!!

I, too, want to try to get some of these track/speed workouts into my running schedule. After this weekend I don't have any races scheduled until Tango, so I'm looking forward to focusing on some additional training. I would love to get my 5k pace to an 8:45/9:00pace by Timberman sprint. It may be a bit of a lofty goal given the pain management of my hip. But hey...what good are goals if they don't seem just a bit out of reach, right?

CSquared said...

I think this prove your 5 K pace is in the 9 min/mile range. You have been sandbagging to look good in the Timberman.

Good job, Keep it up!

m said...

Great track work! That first one was fast.

catmarlson said...

I'm somewhat surprised Craig didn't do the math to determine your inertia at each speed.... in Metric Units of course.