Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Tango Update

When our applications were submitted we were the 12th relay team to enter. I'm guessing this is including High School and Corporate teams.
So the road that goes by the his cottage was scheduled to be tarred and chipped on Thursday. He informed Thad of this. Thad is going to make a call to see if they can hold off on that project. Pennsylvania Ave is already enough of a problem....
Thad also said that he'd run up Rte 59 that night in case that becomes the first part of the race.

The Canoe ends at the point of Conewango Creek and the River.

Craig you mentioned the double ended oars. Could you also have a single end available. I have a feeling I might be more powerful with a single ended. (have to try and keep up with Shawn).

Dad just Instant Messaged me. Up to 20 Teams! Hemlock is going to be the run. Tar and Chip isn't going to happen.

5 comments:

Casey said...

Bring 'em on!

Given Shawn's game-plan of having the fasted swim split of the day, and my revised goal of a 7:45 min/mile pace, I'm thinking we are a lock for no worse than 2nd place. I won't lie to you though...a whole lot of weakness will be leaving my body that morning.

CSquared said...

I believe the road bike is the optimum choice. I will risk flats to receive the benefits of climbing and descending. My weakness feels it will be mostly released by the time I get to Jakes Rocks, then I will be much stronger.

Now, this whole race may be the case where the sum of the parts is stronger than all the individual parts. If Shawn is 1st, Casey is 2nd, I also feel my bike could potentially be top 3. If cunning and precise map reading is used we could easily (cough, cough) be leading going into the canoe. Nothing is impossible, it just has a lower chance of probability.

Casey said...

Please allow me to clarify my previous boasting. When I said 2nd was a lock, I was referring to our overall finish, not my individual leg. Given that last year's overall average time for the 13 miles was 8:45, there were a lot of participants who did far better than 7:45 min/miles. If I had to venture a goal for myself, it would be to finish in the top 1/2 of the field (does that sound like I'm sandbagging?).

Now the 4.5 mile run is a different story altogether. The average last year was almost 10:40 minutes/mile. I feel reasonably certain that I will be able to keep my pace for this leg between 7:45 and 8:00. I will go out on a limb and predict a finish in the top 20% (again...not very aggressive?).

No pressure guys, but I think a good performance in the orienteering leg could make a huge difference.

SJV said...

Craig, you are optimistic! 3rd overall in the bike? I will buy you a pizza at your choice of establishments if you can swing that. I must have missed this post. I am hoping that by the time I begin the swim, there are enough people ahead of me and recently enough, that I can work to catch and pass them. It will be somewhat less exciting if everyone is either a half hour ahead or somewhere behind us. With as many teams entering as there appear to be, I think we should have some competition, with some being better, and some worse.

This will be so educational.

SJV said...

P.S.,

If we're leading going into the canoe, we will win the race.

Just thought I should let you know.