Sunday, August 26, 2007

Matt's Race Report: Morgantown

Friday Travel Day to WV for pre-race meeting:
Genine and I arrived at the race site about 4:30PM. The Race meeting wasn't until 6. After being in the air conditioned car all day. The 93 degree temp and high humidity was brutal. We actually went over to a grocery store to pick up some allergy medicine I forgot and also just to hang out in their A/C. Ha!
Craig and Family showed up closer to 6. The Kids were going to race their triathlon right after our meeting. They did great. It was very fun to watch about 100 kids and the differing levels of intensity they had about the race.
After the race we headed out for some dinner. That's when things started to fall apart for me. I guess I got a migraine headache. I even broke out in a cold sweat. So I really wasn't a whole bunch of fun at dinner. I think I had everyone pretty worried about me. I was really out of it.
Driving back to Craig's after dinner, I was already thinking I might not be able to compete in the morning. Although, I was still hopeful that it would pass.

Saturday Race Day:
5:30 AM wake up call and I was feeling better. So off to the races.

My heat started at 8:00, Craig Started the group after me 8:10. So we were able to chat right up until my start which was nice. Kept my nerves down. I have to say watching some of the people swimming in the groups ahead of me boosted my confidence too. Some people were really struggling. (I know.... nice that I take confidence from that)
I was happy with my swim. I didn't think about the fact the timing mat was on the way out of the pool area. I should have run to that to save a few seconds off my swim time. I was the furthest lane from that timing mat.
I didn't even think to look how many had finished in my heat. I guess I was the 3rd out of 10 in my heat. So when I got to the transition area as I was getting ready for the bike I think 2 or 3 people arrived after me but were out of transition ahead of me.
When I got to the bike start, someone else was right behind me. I never looked to see who it was. I just decided to dig in and hold my position at that point. So I kept looking over my shoulder during the bike to see where he was. I didn't see him and never caught me. I'll have to look up how much time I made up on him at some point.
The exciting part of the bike was on the loop back. First there was a guy really digging in heading my way, aerobars and looking down I guess, because as he got close he headed right at me. I had to yell to him to let him know I was there. We passed each other very very closely. Not Cool.
Next I ran into a big ole bumble bee. Fortunately it didn't latch onto my shirt.
Lastly, some guy was walking out of the trees along side the path right into my way. Again had to yell out to him to get him to hold up. He had no clue I was there.
In the 2nd transition I switched my watch to Run Mode and tried to get my foot pod going. I guess I didn't get the pod switched on, but I figured I didn't care. I'd go without it. Well my right calf started cramping up on me almost immediately. I wasn't going to have any part of that I just kept going and it worked itself out within a half mile. My Heart Rate within that half mile was 180-185 which I knew wasn't good. I was having to walk for 15 seconds a couple times. I decided if I was walking, I may as well stop and get my footpod going so I can see what my pace is. When I started running again, I found I was running way above my normal pace.
Now that the pod was working, I was able to pull my pace back and run the next 2.5 miles without having to walk. A few people passed me on the run. The guy that had started the bike right behind me as he passed me running said. "I couldn't catch you on the bike!" So I guess he was gunning for me for about 40 minutes now. I had absolutely no extra burst to give at finish of the run as I had hoped but I'm happy with the split times and overall results.

I'd like to thank Craig and Family for letting Genine and I stay at their house. They are great hosts and it was a very fun weekend. I hope you plan for a trip out our way sometime so we can return the favor. We don't have to do a triathlon when you visit if you don't want to. Ha ha ha!

No comments: