Monday, August 27, 2007

Craig's Race Report

It was great seeing Matt. Just so you all know, even though you probably lived through it, Friday night was oppressively hot during the kids Tri. Matt & Genine hung out and took pictures of the kids getting on & off the bike and caught Eleanor at the end of the run. I got a good work out too. They put he kids in Heat 2, 5, 9. So, Tamara got them ready for the bike coming out of the swim then I helped them transition to the bike. Back & Forth, I was getting a little soggy. Kid's did great. Maddy was our best swimmer, Levi hammered on the bike, & Eleanor was the only kid to run the whole run leg (or close to it). It was fun.

Race Day for Matt & I. We got there about 50 minutes before Matt's start time. It was a little hurried getting stuff set up outside the pool, but once we were pool side it was relaxed and it was good to talk to Matt before the start. Matt looked awesome in the pool. There was a 14 year old kid that was flying in his heat. He definitely had swam some competitive meets before. Matt was 3rd out of the pool in his heat. It would have been tough for him to catch the first two.

My swim went well. I was over 20 seconds faster than last year. Of course by well I mean the spas freak boy in my lane didn't drown me and I didn't punch him. Of course Tamara told me she was ready to punch him. Right off the bat, he was flailing with like a broken windmill. He was just fast enough I couldn't get around him in the first lap. Lap 2 I went to go around I got drove in the lane line to my left. Lap 3 went to go around, again my arm was whacking the lane line. I then settled in behind him for lap 4. Lap five he was tired enough that I put the hammer down and gained about 10 seconds on him. I probably lost a little time, but didn't get worked up and felt good coming out of the pool. I swear he didn't open his eyes once.

Leaving the transition out of the bike, I was mounting my bike, when from my right I saw someone coming towards me. It was Spas freak boy from the pool. He was trying a flying push jump start, and I believe if I hadn't moved my front wheel to the left it would have been a bad day for both of us. Well the next challenge was passing him. I caught him in the first quarter mile. He was on the wrong side of the lane and I had to pass him on the right. My bike went great from there. Matt has the distance listed as 10.5 miles. I checked the distance on Google yesterday, it comes out to 11 miles. Last year it was 10.5 because of some construction. This year they got the full 11 in. I went a few seconds faster on the bike this year, of course keeping in mind the 1/2 mile increase.

My 2nd transition was slower than I wanted. The run just feels awful for the first mile. I then started to pick it up. I was very encouraged to run into Matt about 1/2 mile from the turnaround. He looked great, very happy. I was able to get my pace up the last 1.5 miles. But guess who came running by me with about a 1/2 mile to go (Spas Boy). I tried hard to hook on. He got me by 15 seconds. My time was slower than last year. I was 1:25 slower to be exact. It came almost entirely in the run. I was 1:30 slower in the run.

A couple notes, which may appear to be excuses, but I can live with that. The bike was 1/2 mile farther. So, I actually went faster here. Spas boy didn't help, but I won't say he hurt me. The run may have been a tad longer than last year, based on discussion from the local tri group, that it was not quite a 5K last year and they moved the turnaround farther down the trail. It could have only been 100 yd tops. Doesn't explain 1.5 minute drop. The heat/humidity was up, I no like this.

All in all the number that I like best, was last year I was 99th overall, this year I was 93. So, I moved up 6 slots. Of course teams are included in this. So against individuals both Matt & I are looking better.

I can't wait to get Shawn involved in one of these, as well as the rest of you all. We had a good time, & I would love to go to NY to do a tri in the city or near the city with Matt & others.

5 comments:

catmarlson said...

It is too bad that guy was in your lane swimming/blocking. Then basically blocking on the bike as well. I now see how many positions you can move up if you are just 1 minute faster overall.
I still think we both would have been faster if we were in the same heat!
I forgot to mention to you that there were 2 bikers from your heat that looked like they were drafting. Of course the guy might have passed after I went by them but it didn't really look like that was his intention. Not a big deal. I just didn't see any penalties on the form anywhere.

Thanks for not mentioning that I was the Hairiest guy there. I'm guessing that's why I wasn't interfered with during the swim. The girl in my lane was careful not to touch me. LOL!

CSquared said...

That girl in your lane was definately holding back for the next two events. My dude wasn't blocking, he just had no clue how to swim straight. He was apologizing during the transition, because his station was next to mine.

A controversy has arisen on the swim time of the first 20 contestants (local tri group discussion). It appears their swim times are a minute faster than what they actually did. The swim starter was starting a minute after the overall timer. Look to see if you had a person with a bib # 20 and under near you. I had one girl. So it looks like I might have been 92nd. Also look for the best swim times, they are almost all from the first 20 people. One dude is listed under 3 minutes. That would be like 50 second 100's. Olympics should be his race, not the Morgantown SSS.

catmarlson said...

I saw the swim times early on and was just stunned. I'm glad to know I don't have to double my speed to catch up with these guys.

It's too bad they've had these controversies the last couple years. As you've said, they do a nice job.
I didn't mention that they painted the bike path with orange paint anywhere it was rough. I'm sure that helps to top bikers the most but still. They definitely are safety conscious.

Jim said...

If I were in Morgantown last weekend, I'd swear you were describing my swim technique!! :)

Casey said...

Congrats to both of you! You both did really well. Sounds like it was a lot of fun. I really hope I can get myself back to where I will be physically able to join you next year.