Friday, August 10, 2007

Another bike store trip

I rode my mountain bike down to the local bike store, appropriately named The Bicycle Shop, and tuned my rear derailleur which was sticking when I shifted into a higher gear. Well, that was a snap, but I thought I would test drive a bike or two to see whether there was any reason I had to have one. I figured since I wasn't going to buy one anyway, I might as well go for the big guns so I took out a Cannondale CAAD 8, which was retailing for about $1100, in a 63 cm size. Well, it was sweet, as you might expect. Super smooth and light, with crisp power application. It had to be several pounds (!) lighter than my road bike. It put me into such an aero position that my neck hurt after the test ride, yet it was generally much more comfortable than the last road bike I test drove. And technically, it wasn't that expensive, compared to most of the tri bikes, although to be fair I paid less than that for my last motor vehicle. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to justify a new bike unless I start getting close to winning, but it's fun to dream.

P.S. I will be doing all three disciplines today.

No comments: