Tuesday, August 28, 2007

HR Note from Morgantown

From the spreadsheet, I noticed Eric was frustrated with his HR on his bike rides the other day. It didn't look to me like it was far off from my triathlon.

I downloaded the race info from my HR monitor yesterday.
Cycling Range 162-181 bpm Average was 169. (Max was in the 1st mile of the bike).
Cadence average was 65, my cadence sensor only caught about 40% of my ride. Which is disappointing because I did quite a few change-ups during the ride.

For the 1st 3 minutes of the run my HR went from 170-177 constant drift upwards. Then I stopped to get my footpod going. As I'm sure I was running above my normal pace.
For the next 18 minutes or so it held at 178ish, then it started to drift upwards slightly to 182. It looks like I upped the pace for the final 1/4 mile, my HR went right up to 188-190 to the finish.

Looking at my HR training post a few weeks back. If I've accurately located my zones it would appear that I raced the entire event in Zone 4 "sub lactate threshold". For the most part I was able to hold that intensity for the full 1:14:00. I certainly would not be able to go 3 hours at this intensity. If the mooseman were a month away, I'd be practicing my pacing to hold a lower zone for sure.

Nothing too enlightening here. Just figured I'd post so I could find it later as reference.

2 comments:

SJV said...

I don't know how you do it, my man. We must just have different base rates or something. When I go up into the 180's, I feel like I am going to die after about a minute. Even the mid 170's are not something I wish to hang around in. I think I could probably do a race this distance in the high 160's average, but it's going to be the worst at the end, which is kind of crappy. I would love to have these events in the reverse order. You are a man with a big heart, my friend, and a much faster one than I.

catmarlson said...

Genine and I ran 5k last night. Side by side most of the way. I was keeping my HR at 150. Her's was 140 or a touch lower.
That's why I don't buy into those HR formulas. You need to do the PRE/RPE test and find out where you stand.

If I'm wrong about this, I guess it's because I've done a ton of Zone 4 training over the last 10 months?

My guess is that 180's for you is Zone 5 stuff and Zone 4 for me.

I also should be doing the monthly fitness test I posted a long while back. Then I would be able to gauge improvement easily.