Monday, August 6, 2007

Casey's Comment (moved from comments)

First of all, I want to say it was a great day overall. The weather, the scenery, the company. Can't wait for the Mooseman and the Tango next year.

I second Shawn's opinion that we finished with a pretty respectable time of 10 hrs, 15 min (by my watch - I haven't seen the official times yet). Had we not encountered a few issues (I will share mine below and I'll let Craig share his own), I believe we could have finished in under 9 hours, which would have put us around 3rd or 4th in our division.

I stuck to my original plan (which, in retrospect, was a mistake) and kept a 7:30 pace, at least for the first 3 miles. I thought I would keep it up for as long as I could (my goal was the halfway point), then drop back to my normal 8 or 8:15 pace. After mile 3, the inclines kicked in and ended my plans. From then on, the course was one of two things...either sort of uphill or really uphill. I just wasn't physically prepared for it. I also had a stitch in my side that I couldn't shake. Usually I am able to work through them, but again, because I never got a break from the inclines, I couldn't lose it.

I think I crossed the dam somewhere around the 75 minute mark. I estimated that to be between 8.5 to 9 miles in. Around mile 10 I felt the knife in my right knee. I had the same problem 4 years ago while training for the Pittsburgh Marathon. It was run, hobble, walk the rest of the way. I think I finished right at 2 hrs.

The second run was much worse. I wrapped up my knee nice and tight and found that it didn't make a lick of difference. Thankfully it was only 4.5 miles and mostly downhill this time. I got there in 50 minutes, which was better than my goal of an hour.

I figure I cost us 20-25 minutes total.

By the way, my orthopod is going to name his boat after me. The knee makes my third different body part with him. I will keep you posted on how that all works out.

One additional note. Joe (my brother) and his teammate Scott Angove finished the race in just under 11 hours. They came in third in their division and 4th overall. Not too shabby. Their biggest issue was in the swim. Scott had some difficulties so Joe ended up towing him with a rope for almost two miles. They still finished the leg in 2.5 hours.

1 comment:

catmarlson said...

You say you cost us 20-25 minutes total. I say you saved us more than an hour.
If I had to make a go at that 2nd run I'm guessing I'd have had to stretch for about 5 minutes before leaving while chugging Gatorade. Then hoping the Gatorade doesn't slosh around too much! Even then it was unlikely I'd have beaten the time you posted.
Of course without you we'd never have reached the beach for the 1st run. Ha!
I can't wait to see the splits. I'm sure you kept us in the thick of it with your times.
My only regret was not following up that statement regarding a bike catastrophe at the meeting. We should have been thinking about a support vehicle. (would there have been a penalty if he switched bikes?)
Anyhow, This was a test run anyhow right? 2008 is when we get serious!