Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Swim Class / Muscle Cramps

So I was back to Swim Class tonight. As you know I complain every week that I cramp up some time after the 60 minute mark. So I decided to make sure to drink a ton of water during the day and then change up my pre-class "meal".
I did eat a bit of chicken, but then added a multi-vitamin and some gatorade. I also took a bottle of gatorade with me to class.
Well I made it through class without having to drop out. I'll try it again next week just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
I also asked what the other people ate before swim class. Most of them carb-load. Pasta meal a couple hours before class then a gel on the drive to the class. Some take the salt pills. So I guess I was being way too conservative with my preparation before.

The class was intense tonight so it was a good test.
100 yd warm up
4x25 2 drill, 2 race. 3 times.
8x 25 on 30 seconds. (I was getting about a 4-6 second break each lap)
30 minute Race for distance swim. 1450 yds. I probably could have done more but I didn't feel like passing the person ahead of me. So I just worked on staying in the draft.
4x200 race: 1st time I finished in 3:48, 2nd 3:58, 3rd 3:50, 4th 3:58
100 yd cool down

3 comments:

SJV said...

That's awesome, dude. 300 more yards and you'd have a mile in 30 minutes. And you could have gone faster, you say, so let's say you can make it. If you could do that in the lake, you would be looking good. With 10 months to practice, you should be a killa in the Mooseman.

I hope the nutrition thing helps you with the cramps. It sounds like most of the class treats this like a race. For the Tango, I carb loaded for 3 days, gelled it when we expected Craig to show up, and took a slight "overdose" of vitamins the night before and morning of the event. I am certain this had a lot to do with my level of energy and fresh feelings after the swim.

I think getting some carbs in there early enough to convert would be a good idea. Keep up the experimentation and let us know how it goes.

CSquared said...

That is awesome. You should email Dr. Roberts to see what he suggests. I am curious about the salt tablets. I have seen other people take them and they said it helps them at the end of a race, by not feeling so awful. Stops that Stomach cramp feeling.

I am getting nervous about Morgantown, because I have literally done very little swimming since Rocky Gap. I'm hitting the pool tonight.

catmarlson said...

I definitely would like a solid plan from someone like Jim. I'm sure he would suggest a longer term plan leading up to events. Heck probably even the entire year.
The main reason I haven't gone with the gatorade before is that I really don't have much sugar in my diet. Certainly a work in progress and last night was a good first step. My calves have still been a bit sore from the run Saturday. I really expected Swim Class to be Cramp Class.

As for Morgantown. I'm going to be happy with anything under 90 minutes. That may be a really weak goal but I haven't done anything to create a more realistic expectation.