Monday, August 6, 2007

Matt's point of View

I had a ton of fun. I'm guessing you could tell that when you look at the pictures. I kind of have PermaGrin going on.
I was waiting to post my information because I wanted to throw some HR info in here.
When we were handed the map we took off in the direction the trail head was supposedly located. (yes, we probably should have been checking this out before we started). It didn't matter. We didn't even go 50 yards before we both realized the run up the road and hitting the course in reverse was a decent strategy. So we headed for the entrance gate.
Craig knew this was my first race so he was coaching me as we were going along. I'm sure I'll hear this in my head before every race now. "This is what you call a delayed gratification event." Which once you finish an event like this you understand completely. I now understand. (PermaGrin).
Once we got into the slope of the hill, he then mentioned keeping positive mentally.
The run up the hill was pretty rough. My watch recorded minimum temperature of 90 degrees. Ascent of 700ft in about 2.5 miles. We reached the RimRock road in 32 minutes. My HR hit 185 6 times during that time. Each time we would change to a quick walk until my HR dropped to 170 then back to the run. (Not exactly HR training day).
Just looking at my HR graph. I'm guessing we hit our 1st target at 37:40, 2nd target at 48:55, 3rd target at 56:00, 4th target at 1:04:00.
Craig didn't need a compass for this event. He did use it to move us to the 3rd point but it only verify what he had already said. I do feel like I did contribute by spotting the target at least a couple of the times. I think as he was scanning the terrain to stay oriented, I was free to scan for the targets in a much wider scope.
There were comical moments as Craig would ask the kids at each station for the Ice Cream he was promised for reaching each point. Some of them weren't sure what to think of this request. The one kid was pretty quick and replied "I just gave the last one away, you were too slow". Craig would also tell them his nephew's name, they should know him from school or scouting. I'm guessing those kids are now telling Craig's nephew he has a Kook for an uncle.
As we cleared our 4th point. I think that we ran into Scott and Joe about 15 yds away from what would be their 1st point. Craig mentioned to them they are on the right track. I think I could hear the kids at the marker laughing at this.
Once we got to end of the trail head at the road. There was a guy with his map on the ground. Compass and full 360 protractor out and in action. Craig asked how they were doing. The guy said he'd be better once they found the 1st marker, to which Craig replied "That trail right there looks really promising". I wonder how many hours it took that team to find the other 3.
It appears we made our decision to take the steep slope through the waist high ferns, monster rocks and downed trees at the 1:18:00 mark. On the climb down I was commenting that it would be fun if there was someone running down the road and we pulled ahead of them. As we were just about to clear the trees we spot 2 people walking. So we start hollering. Well we thought it was funny anyhow. After our slide down the final slope and offering some gatorade and water to them, we were back to running at 1:30:00.
Now Craig and I start talking about what we are going to do if Casey's knee is locked up. My HR was in the 165 zone at that point and I was just saying "I feel like I could do it" when my calves started cramping on me. I'm not sure if it was the downhill running or just my typical 90 minute exercise limit. All I know was we had left it at, we will decide when we get down there.
We were both quite pleased to see that Casey was going to tough it out and take it on.
Average HR 170, max 190. Time 1:43 plus or minus a couple minutes.

As for the Canoe. We thought we might have a race with the High School team that pulled out just in front of us. I guess they didn't get the message it was a race. We never saw them again.
All I had to do then was survive my own leg cramps while sitting in the canoe. I had upper/quad hip cramps this time. I had no idea how to manage it being in the boat. So basically I stood up, bent at the waist and held the sides of the canoe. Kind of looked like I was mooning Shawn. Fortunately that didn't last too long.
Later as we were navigating shallow waters, the boat suddenly lurched to the left. My whole body tenses up trying to hold on. (leg cramps return). Shawn is suddenly at the front of the boat pulling us ahead. I tell him he could have warned me. He said it was spur of the moment, his end of the canoe wasn't going to make it. Ha!
Canoe time 1:40 Average HR 139, Max 166.

It seems that we have inspired some other people to prepare for next year's race. So even if our team isn't the same next year it seems that there will be people to fill in. I guess it's a question of whether we want to prove we can place with our current team or prove to ourselves that we could in fact finish an endurance race such as this.
However it works out next year. I'm looking forward to it already.

Lastly: For the sake of having a record. I want to mention our combined weight. I'm estimating 845 lbs combined. I'm guessing we had a good shot at oldest average relay team as well.
I'm guessing our total weight will be lower next year, can't say the same about the age thing though.

Thanks Guys

No comments: