Thursday, June 28, 2007

More swim experiments

We went to the pool twice today. The first time we got kicked out due to thunder, but we went back in the evening and got some serious laps in. I talked to a lifeguard (girl) who used to swim distances in high school (recently) and she said she did a mile in 18 minutes or so normally. Even with my fins on, and my daily practice, I am not yet going that fast, so I was correct when I said earlier that I think real swimmers will still be faster than me. I wonder if real swimmers put on fins whether they would actually go all that much faster over distances than they do without, or does it tax their muscles in different ways resulting in similar times overall. Whatever the case, based on my rough experiment today, I would expect to finish 2.2 miles in about an hour. Not having to turn 30 times per mile might reduce that. I sure hope so. Plus I always slow down as I approach the wall, because I am usually doing the backstroke and I'm afraid of getting a concussion. But even if I can keep up a pace of 1:30 per 100 meters, I am still looking at nearly 50 minutes. I feel like I'm going really fast, and I can usually outpace all the masters lap swimmers I'm up against, even if they are doing speed drills, but I guess I'm still not going that fast compared to competitive swimmers. Ah well...I'll go as fast as I can. I'll consult a friend who is a swim coach some more soon to try to improve my stroke so maybe I can speed up without increasing my HR. It's all about efficiency. I've definitely improved since the beginning of summer. I am starting to enjoy swimming a lot.

1 comment:

CSquared said...

A competitive swimmer will always go faster with fins. They actually can slow down the kick and achieve the same amount of power. The key to it is the fins create a better waterdynamic position. The additional power from the rear helps you keep your torso higher. The book I bought "Total Imersion" talks about how fins help you get the feeling of correct body position. The author of that book doesn't want you to train with them because she feels you cheat on your kick, and never get a sense of body position without them.

Of course your goal right now is to swim as fast in the tango with all the advantages available. So have at it. I will bet we will see a competitive swimmer with fins at the Tango put in some awesome time. Looking at all the events in the Tango, I believe they allow the fins because the best swimmer would have a huge advantage without them. Most of these type adventure races do a Kayak leg, but this one seems very unique with both a swim and canoe.