Saturday, June 16, 2007

Swimmin' like a Tuna

Okay, I put on the fins for the first time and leapt into the pool. I promptly swam the entire 25-yard length underwater using the undulating motion of a dolphin. After that, I swam very fast laps for quite a while, trying different kicking motions. I am going to have to ask Thad if snorkels are allowed now, because that might be an important consideration. I am happy to report, however, that the back stroke seems to be ideally suited to this type of fin, due to the way the knee bends. I was able to cruise at quite a clip on my back for extended periods. I'm looking forward to trying that in open water. I'm not looking forward to feeling my legs in the morning, but I didn't experience any cramping or blisters or anything like that, so that was good, but I may have gone too long for my first day. We shall soon know. I like the flippers. I'm not sure if they are the fastest things in the world, but I'm feeling better about my chances every day.

Soon I'll have to experiment with timing different kicks for 100 yards and checking my HR to see both which provides the fastest time, and how each affects my heart.

If snorkels are allowed, I have some adventurous ideas.

No comments: