Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Looking for Excuses

Well I may already coming up with an excuse if I do poorly in the Rocky Gap. My foot pain happens the morning after I run. Once again my calf has been very tight, even before I run. So, I believe it is from this. When I stretch and lift it feels a lot better. It has not affected me during a bike or run, but I also haven't stressed it like I am going to Saturday. I am not use to any kind of injury. So, this could be minor, and my taper and rest this week will probably go along way in making it feel better. I have been stretching a lot before and after working out to make sure it is good and loose. The foot pain is non-existent during the day. I probably am fusing over nothing, but will keep my eye on it.

Well, I am resting good this week, took Sun & Mon off essentially. Ran 20 mins last night, which almost seemed pointless, but was part of the schedule and rest. Tonight 25 minutes in the pool. Thursday 25 minutes on the bike. Nothing too hard.

I did puncture a tire Monday working on the bike. I am picking up a new tube tonight. I don't trust a patched tube. I'm also picking up enough tire thingies to change a tire without cheating with a screw driver. Not to smart on my part. I wanted to re tape the inside of the rim because the piece protecting the spokes from the tube didn't look too good when I changed tires last year. Should have left it alone.

Will keep you updated. By the way I'm shooting for 1 hour 2 minutes. Under 1 hour would be awesome. I also hope to bring home the coveted Clydesdale first place, but I'm sure some big swimmer will show up and out do me.

2 comments:

catmarlson said...

The foot pain I have most often is on my left foot. The "pads" across my smaller toes. The joints there sometimes are sore. It hasn't been enough to change how I do anything tho'.
If you continue to have issues with it, why not ask your physician to refer to you a podiatrist? Probably better to address the issue as soon as possible.

SJV said...

I had something like this I think two years ago, especially the tight calf thing. My foot was sore every night, and the calf just got tighter and tighter for weeks, even though I was stretching it all the time, and then one day it went "boing," and I had a feeling akin to a blind going up when you let it go.

I just lived with it for months after that until I realized that every time I did any kind of hard exercise, or even something like jumping off a diving board, it hurt again, and felt really tight.

I looked up the symptoms and the first thing that came up was "embolism," which had almost the exact same list of symptoms. So I called my doctor, described my symptoms, and he said "Come in today!" I guess he thought the same thing.

We decided I should get an MRI on the calf to see what the deal was, and luckily it turned out to be a hard ball of muscle that had broken off from the achilles tendon and bunched up at the base of my calf. They encouraged me to continue stretching it, and stop stessing it for a few months. It did eventually get better, though technically that part of the muscle is still curled up there.

Now, why did this happen? That is the big question. I hypothesize that I didn't have good arch support, and when I started doing a lot of walking at high speeds (in NYC with Matt), this lack of support caused my calf muscle to have to work in a way that wasn't ergonomic.

Consequently, I agree with Matt's recommendation that you have a podiatrist look at your foot and give you some advice. If they actually figure it out, it's worth the price. If he/she says "Gee, I don't see anything wrong," then you wasted your money. But I wouldn't want to let that go too long. Doesn't your work health plan cover things like that? "It's the shoes I wear to work!, Yeah, that's it."

Good luck. I am still considering coming down. Have to see what happens with my work.