Thursday, June 14, 2007

Aerobic Maximum

I am going to start running tonight. My new focus is to increase my aerobic level by running under my aerobic maximum, calculated at 143 BPM. No Heart Rate Monitor, so I must go by perceived exertion and check at 10 minute intervals to assure I am not too high. I believe this will be my focus for a good six weeks, to see if I can go faster at the same Heart Rate.

http://www.duathlon.com/articles/1460

This link I found after talking to Shawn over the weekend has led me to think I need to only focus on aerobic when biking and running, then focus on form in swimming without going anaerobic. Finally go anaerobic when I do strength weight training.

I am trying for six weeks, starting today. Of course I have two 5k's in that period that will surely be somewhat anaerobic.

2 comments:

catmarlson said...

Solid plan. I'll dig into my books now that everyone is into the HR or Exertion Perception.
I seem to remember that doing a bit of interval work each week is a big key. I'll post more later.

CSquared said...

The interval is a key. For short distance you definately need this, because 5k racers are usually strong dudes. Where as 10K and up you are more aerobic (not that 5k doesn't need aerobic) I am going to stay away from interval for the six weeks also to reduce my injury. Not to make you think the tango is not important to me, but I would like to peak three weeks after the Tango for the Sprint Tri in M-town.