Sunday, June 24, 2007

HR testing

I wore the HR monitor on a bike ride today. I went with my training partner, who is older than me, but in good shape. I can't keep up with him, especially on the uphills. So I would say that when I ride with him, I constantly have to push myself to keep up, which is good. Since this was my first bike ride with the HR monitor, it was instructive to see what was happening inside. What I found was that going at about my race pace (at the moment), my HR hovered between 145 and 155, with spikes into the low 160's when I was powering over small hills or trying to accelerate. This is significantly lower than the HR I get when running at my race pace, which is slow. When I tried to go faster in an effort to keep my HR in the 160's, my legs couldn't handle it. This endurance stuff is still all new to me. I can sprint like the dickens for short distances, got over 40 mph at one point, but I just can't seem to keep up any kind of speed going up hills. I'm hoping that I will lose more weight as I improve aerobically, thus giving me enhanced effects. This ride was also quite hilly, though they were rolling hills, nothing major. I'm sure a flat course would give me a much better time. This is why I like to rate myself against other guys my size on whatever course we do, rather than use times.

I think I also got a good sense of what it is going to feel like to try to run after biking that far. Not too good is the description.

I also swam for two hours, so overall it was a good day. I'm ready to Tango.

2 comments:

CSquared said...

Too fast, your heart is too fast! You need to slow down. Your partner is also too fast.

See that 160 BPM is what got me at Rocky Gap. You can sprint, but only for a short time. Then you can't push again until you get the heart rate down.

I was just kidding before. That is great sounds like a good work out. I was watching Rocky 4 the other day on the tube. Pretty soon you will be like Ivan with all the technical advances, you will give up the kettle ball. Rocky was lifting his whole Entourage in a horse wagon while drago used the bo-flex hooked up to a super computer. Maybe you can mix the two worlds, uhhh!

SJV said...

Yes, the too fast thing is a big question for me. If I want to stay below 142 or so (as Mark Allen tells me to), I can hardly do anything! I can walk briskly or bike at a leisurely pace. Perhaps on my rest days I should just do a walk at that HR for a half hour or more, but it feels so unproductive. I don't have a lot of time to try different things. I'm afraid if I walk for a couple of weeks, I won't make much progress with the running. Seems like if I want to get better at running, I should probably run! But maybe I'm mistaken. Maybe if I walk for 2 weeks, I will have to run to get up to that HR. On the other hand, I have been improving daily, so I can't complain.

I do regularly lift my own entourage in a horse wagon, though.