Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Swim Class Round 8:

This is the last class of the session. I was doing a decent job of keeping track of what we were doing up until I started cramping up. About the 60 minute mark my calf started to tweak. Then he calls for fins drill. I didn't even try it. I hopped out of the pool to try and work it out.
Finally jump back in to try without fins and I'm cramping so that my toes are crossing.
I hop back out again. Stand and talk with the coach about stuff while the rest of the class is chuggin' along.
So he decides since it's the last class of the session. We will do a relay, guys vs girls. They talk me back into the pool so it's 4 vs 4. 50 yds each person.
They say that competition brings out the best in you. Just for reference. 10 weeks ago I was doing 50 yds in 70 seconds. Last week I felt that I was clocking in near 50 seconds during class. Well for this relay, I was the lead guy and finished in 41 seconds. I was stunned as was the coach and everyone else I think.
Too bad the mooseman isn't a 50 yd swim....

So talking to the guys about the leg cramps. They all seem to get them but they seem to be able to tough it out and keep swimming. I guess I'm going to have to try and work through them while I'm still swimming. Ugh! Not looking forward to that.

2 comments:

CSquared said...

Excellent. Sounds like you did great. I assume the others have a lot more swiming experience.

Way to Go

catmarlson said...

Thx. I was psyched about that for a good 24 hours.
As for the rest of the class. Most of them have been taking this Masters Swimming course for a year or so.
Of course swimming 50yds is a long way from being able to go a mile. I know I have a long way to go with the endurance side of this event.