Thursday, June 7, 2007

Tri Group in Morgantown

They have a Morgantown Multisport Group here. I don't belong, but am seriously considering. They do group runs, brick workouts, transition training events, and Open Water Swims in the Mon River & Cheat Lake. Last night they had, because of peoples work, three different swim times in the Mon River and a group run. I know this because they have a yahoo group they opened up to the public. These people are pretty active Triathletes. More than a few seem prepared to go to Rocky Gap. The open water swim was preparation for Saturday. Of course they are gearing up for the MedExpress Mountaineer triathlon here on July 1. One guy was even posting the water temps of the river so those without a wet suit knew to come or not. It would be nice to train with people who are doing the same thing as me, Actually it would be nice to train with anybody.

Foot & calf felt great this morning. Legs overall felt fatigued. It might have been the hot pool last night or I need more sleep. I am not getting down as early as I would like. I need to get to bed by 9:30 tonight. They always say you are working on your sleep from two days ago. Also, I am very focused on fluids before an event. I am drinking a ton, which means I am peeing a lot. I should be drinking like this all the time, but I get more focused before an event. I hope to get to the chiroprator for an adjustment in the next two weeks. May be I will ask him about the foot. If I don't get there I think I will call the family physician. Feeling good today.

Tamara always comments on how impressed she is with how I am preparing for an event when it gets close, but then she usually comments on me getting a little disconnected from the family and her. I usually disagree with this assessment, but I have been known to have tunnel vision, so I am working hard to make sure my triathlons don't get in the way of the family, one of the reasons I didn't get the sleep I wanted last night, was taking time to spend with her.

Bike tire fixed. The tire thingies worked great. I bought three, I may have only needed two. Also re wrapped handle bars. Previous wrap was done by me, not a very good job. I did it 12 years ago or so. Tired of living with it.

I did this last summer too. Had tons of time to know I was doing something and waited to the last week to make sure things got fixed or were the way I wanted. I know I am posting alot, but thought you might want to know what happens with your little anxieties before you do a triathlon. I didn't touch worry about how the transitions will go. Of course knowing Shawn and how relaxed he is this may not make any sense to him. That is a compliment by the way.

4 comments:

SJV said...

I was just thinking about transitions last night. I don't know how they work, as far as where do you park your bike, and how do people stake out claims and such. I figure with no toe clips and running in my biking shoes, I should be pretty dang fast on the second one. It would be funny to come in the top 20 in one of the transitions in the Mooseman. That's going to be my fastest event. T2. And my shoes can be put on and off without tying, so those are quick too. I think I will wear sock for my first one at least, but I have shorties, so they don't get all tangled up on my feet. I have actually tried to see how fast I can put on socks and shoes a few times, but never while lying on the ground on a towel.

Don't feel bad about spending time with the family, even if your performance suffers. Your performance in life will be judged by the people you touched, not the times you ran.

CSquared said...

Socks are a must. It isn't the fact you are wet that is difficult. It is more the fact your heart is racing 150+ beats a minute. I had to sit on the towel. I tried to stand and do it, but was not feeling to good doing that. I wore the same shoes for both last year. This year I am trying biking shoes. The pros just jump on the bike and slide their feet into the shoes once moving. I on the other hand don't want to run in my bike shoes, but can't just jump on the bike. I am going to carry shoes out of transition and put on just before mounting bike. We will see.

Dismounting, I hope to leave shoes on bike and just step out of them. They fasten with velcro so this should be able to be done. I then run with bike to my station and leave bike with shoes attached. Slide running shoes on and boom out of Transition I go. We will see.

Transition usually has long wooden bike racks that you leave your bike at. You hang your clothes, hat, helmet on pegs on the rack, and have your shoes below. They usaully don't let anyone but athletes in these areas so your stuff is safe.

SJV said...

So the bike isn't in the transition? I thought you ran in wet, chaged your clothes to whatever degree you wanted, jumped on the bike and rode out.

CSquared said...

No you can't ride bike in and out. You are required to mount the bike and dismount essentially under the banner. All actions inside are pushing or carrying. So when you exit, you run pushing your bike to the exit for the bike out of the transition. Then upon entering you have to be dismounted before the banner and push your bike back to your station. I carried mine. I felt it was quicker. But most people pushed.