Tuesday, September 22, 2009

what the "hill" was that?

So yeah, Debbie and I went this morning to Van Cortland park to check out the trail run we THOUGHT we were going to do in Oct.  I'm sad to announce that we decided to postpone the run until November when our calves hopefully will recuperate from the one hill on the trail. Holy Moley! Not only that but for the 5k, we'd have to run up that hill twice! But we are determined. Today we only did 1 loop-1.5m. Thursday, we're going to try to do it twice. Debbie was able to jog up the hill. My calves gave up on me 1/4 of the way up (and frankly I think I was able to walk it faster than I was jogging it) I was glad there was no one else on the trail because I am sure my grunts were rather bestial.  I was really working my arms and I felt they were helping, however, I also felt that my nose was almost on the ground but I am sure that was just my imagination.
Then of course there's the downhill...which is the reason I'm posting. Any tips on running downhill? I kept finding myself leaning back, running on my toes...God only knows what my knees were doing. When I tried to lean forward (to gain momentum) I felt I was going to fall forward on my face and break my neck (which would certainly prevent me from having to run up that hill again...there's a thought) and what to do with the arms? Down? Up? Any thoughts? The surface was a true trail with little rocks,  branches and the such so there wasn't much traction...How does one run downhill? Any tips from the experts will be welcome.

4 comments:

Mjay said...

Ya know - there is no shame in walking a portion of a run. The trail run I participated in recently had an 11 mile option. Apparently there was a steep incline of 7%+. I was told by many that you could walk it as quickly as you could run it. If walking it gets you to the finish line...then go for it!

As for technique - I'll leave that to the more seasoned guys. I am sure Matt will be able to provide the mechanics for the downhill. He gave me some pointers a while back.

Keep running!!!

m said...

Van Cortland Park is famous for it's tough cross country course! You should do it!!! Often walking up a hill is much more efficient than trying to run up. I often walk fast up very steep hills and pass people attempting to run.

catmarlson said...

I hate running downhill!! It definitely can cause injury.
I'm definitely not qualified to answer this but here goes.

how to run downhill
running with the body perpendicular to the hill, taking shorter faster strides, striking with the ball of the foot instead of the heel.
Don't fight gravity but also don't allow gravity to cause you to run too quickly.

http://www.runningthehighlands.com/downhill-running/

silent_scream said...

hmm, read that downhill article, interesting. Thanks Matt. 90 degrees to the slope and avoid heel strike. I'll give that a shot. I know I was trying to slow myself down digging my heels on the ground but maybe I shouldn't...I'll give those two things a shot. I don't remember my angles since they varied as a grew more and more panicked as I flew down. I avoided the hills altogether on my last run.

Interesting that you say walking uphill might be more efficient. I timed myself and it took me the same time to walk the hill or jog it! And I was able to avoid causing discomfort to my knees as I walked. But I will try to get stronger in the hope that some day I could (gasp) run up that hill. Thanks for the advice!!!