Sunday, September 6, 2009

Chasing rabbits....

After a very productive day of outside chores, Matt and I decided to enjoy the beautiful cool, sunny weather today with a bike ride. We set out late in the afternoon around 4:30pm. Decided to start at the Y and ride the course with the good rolling hills up to the library near Bedminster/Far Hills. My legs (hips..of course and quads...surprise) were feeling inten-sati from yesterday in a BIG way. Tiffany had been away the past 2 Saturdays and she was back with a vengeance...but in a good way! So, my ride started out slowly as my legs warmed up and decided to work for me. I had told Matt to check in from time to time, but not to hold up his ride for my turtle-like pace.

We held together (for the most part) until we made the right turn on to Lamington Road where the rolling hills start. It is our typical protocol that Matt leads and I try to keep him in my sights. He waits for me at the turn around point at the library. I was keeping a steady pace, trying to work through the sore muscles. I pulled onto the library road and there was Matt waiting & eating his gu. I said, "hey! I'm going to go around and stretch." as I rolled by down the road to make a loop around the library lot to stretch my hips/ legs. I didn't really think too much of it when he didn't acknowledge me. As I was riding back up the road out of the lot to meet him, I see him start to turn on the road to head back! Why isn't he waiting?? Oh crap! He didn't see or hear me go by and now he thinks I'm flatted out or stuck somewhere! I decided I had to put it into super high gear to try to catch him (yea...right!) or at least keep close. SO...off I went like a bat out of hell! As I would get to the bottom of each hill, I could see Matt cresting the top of it. I figured he was riding hard thinking that he needed to find me. Poor Guy! I was pedaling up hills as I have never done before...like race day adrenaline only stronger. My quads were feeling like cement blocks hardening with every turn of the chain ring! Which at one point I realized I was climbing in my big ring!! I was like a greyhound chasing the rabbit. I knew he would stop at the end of the road where we turn...thank goodness! And he did! I told him what had happened and we both laughed a bit! Turns out I had more juice in me than I thought! Just needed some incentive. We ended up riding a little over 27miles in 1:41.

Speaking of incentive...after the ride I got my chai. MMmmm...so good!

3 comments:

Mjay said...

That's great! And here I thought you guys were the great communicators.....maybe it was Matt's way of getting you to push it...

catmarlson said...

"maybe it was Matt's way of getting you to push it"

The world may never know...

CSquared said...

. . . We already Do, Know!