Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Buckman bike practice / Otter

You would think that for as often as I've been on that course this summer that it would no longer be a challenge. Sadly that is not the case.
Once I got warmed up, I decided that I should put in race effort for much of the course, just to get an idea of what I can and can't do. It was a tough ride at times. There were a couple sections that I really stunk it up. I underestimated a couple of sections. I'll probably be back out there this weekend to try riding starting from the park which is the race start for the Buckman. Typically we start halfway around the course but with the way the hills are it would be good to take one practice run starting from the right place.
It's really a great ride, I feel if I get so I can kick butt on that course, I'd really improve at the Mooseman course as well.

Here is a cute story about an otter. It's even a triathlon related story.

6 comments:

Mjay said...

Please tell me we don't have otters in the Kinzua! How about in NH?! For the record....you don't get attacked by critters in pools...I'm just saying.

This did nothing to help me overcome my fear of open water swimming but it was hysterical none the less!!!

GC said...

Way to go, Matt!! ;-)
No worries of otters in Kinzua...just giant muskies with big teeth...jk!

NH is all good!

Mjay said...

Todd reassures me that the otters are in the Tionesta Creek. I wonder if Beavers attack!

AS for muskies---they are the thing I fear most but I doubt will be anywhere near us on the Tango swim...too much commotion in the water (see I am already trying to reassure myself)

BTW-I've already asked Jerry to be my safety canoe if I swim. Todd said he wants to stick with Betts' team...go figure...a "losing team" over the defending champions!

This is only relevant IF I SWIM

catmarlson said...

I've definitely seen otters just up river from my Dad's place. Big ones!
Pretty sure they were in some sort of gang. Mean buggers those otters!

:-)

SJV said...

Are you kidding? When I used to go camping up in those woods, our whole camp was ravaged by otters one time, and beavers cut down the tree to which my hammock was attached. I knew it was otters because they made this mudslide from our camp down to the water that they put all our food on and slid down after it. We had coolers floating around the reservoir for weeks.

I had no idea I could use "otter attack" as an excuse to avoid doing the Ironman. I am going to add that to my list, and maybe I'll go swimming up near Dewdrop just to provoke an attack by one of those big furry sharp-toothed monsters. I know they're up there. Then there are fishers too. Giant weasels, they are. Like a ferret on steroids. And obviously they swim too, or why would they be called fishers? It's like swimming through a interspecies war zone up there! Why do you think I always wear flippers and gloves?

Mjay said...

MATT!!!!

..Back to counseling....