Tuesday, September 15, 2009

First completed 5k report!

I did it! After three very long months of training, I did it! I ran (jogged, really) my first 5K.
It was an interesting experience. The crowd was pumped (25,000+ strong) and in the beginning I got so carried away with adrenaline and the bodies running around me that I started too fast, half way before the first mile marker I was already out of breath. I knew if I didn't slow down I would not be able to continue. It took much concentration to focus, to ignore everyone around me and go into my own familar pace. I looked down to the ground, to my feet, (though all books tell you not to do that) but it helped. I was able to slow myself down and find my pace. My ipod helped but I know that in future races I will not be able to use it. This was considered a fun race so the ipod wasn't an issue. I realize I need to start training without it.

The friend I have been training with got ahead of me in the first few minutes and I lost sight of her.  She was off and running! Good for her!

As I was passed by what seemed thousands of people, I passed one of the wheelchair participants who was also a survivor as her pink hat indicated. I felt a bitter-sweet pang in my chest, inpired by her determination. Counting my blessings, I picked up the pace (ever so slightly) and kept doing my thing.

A little after mile 1 marker I saw a co-worker in the crowd who was there cheering her power-walking mom and it was great to see a familiar face! I waved, she waved and I kept moving. Note to self- time each mile!

The mile 2 marker never seemed to come. But finally I saw the beautiful sign the organization had posted along with the water station and I knew I was almost there. I'm always hesitant to drink as I run so I didn't stop. I feared I would not be able to continue jogging. My breathing was labored, more so than usual but not bad enough to force me to stop. I ate Spanish tortilla the night before made with onions, which I think aggravated my acid reflux. Note to self-- be aware of meals day prior to race. Simple and obvious advice, right? I don't think the nerves helped either.  However, my feet and legs were feeling good. I took two Aleve before the race to help my bad knee out and they did the trick. No complaints in that dept. Also, my new way of tying my shoes allows the blood to flow freely to my instep so my feet did not fall asleep!

Got to the bottom of the CP loop and I knew I was close. A horse drawn carriage with some trigger happy tourists passed me by as well as a power walker, she was fast! I tried to keep up with her, even my stride was at the same pace but I could not reach her. How is that possible? And damn she was shorter than me! She was awesome,  and I lost sight of her quickly.

Next thing I knew I saw the mile 3 marker. Almost there. I knew I had to go around the bend, pass two traffic lights and then the final turn on 72 st. I'm glad I was able to do the course several times before the race. Mentally it helped me to know I could finish it and  how much left to the course there was to go.  Man, I saw the timer at the finish line above me: 49+ . Everyone was cheering everyone else. I looked at my watch and it read 44:16-- I had just beat my 45 minute goal (the timer hopefully was for the elite runners that started 5 minutes before us) I texted my running partner with a simple word "IN" and proceeded to find water because I started to cough and then to gag.  The PBJ sandwitch that I had for breakfast was coming back to haunt me. The water line was long and I hoped my stomach would wait.  It did, I drank and drank and made it to the Key foods booth to grab some food for later (banana!)

Met up with my friend, we did the rounds and collected some nice stuff (Ford scarf, Bank of America water bottle) and more food and sat down on a grassy knoll to stuff our faces with healthy free treats like yogurt, pirate's booty, apple sauce (MOTT's granny smith apple- possibly the best apple sauce EVER) and to take in the sounds and sights.

Overall it was a great day. Personal record for me 15 minute mile pace! My average has been 16, with my slowest run at 18 minute miles. I hope I can keep that 15 mile pace and get faster.

My next 5K is coming up in a month-- OCT 11. It's a cross country one so I hope the field is not too muddy. Hopefully we'll have the opportunity to check it out before hand since it's in the Bronx. I hear it's hilly! GASP. They will have timing chips so this one is for real!

Now I really would like to do some speed work. I don't know if my knee will allow it, since she demands warm up time...but we'll see! Need to read up more on it.

GOAL: next year I want to do the same race in 30 minutes (10 minute miles!!!) Is it possible? Only time will tell. Man, that would be simply, awesome. I start a running class in mid october which will force me to keep running and hopefully will help with that goal.

I want to thank all of you who have inspired me tremendously with all your races (your incredible finish times!) and all the good training tips. Never in a million years did I think I could run a 5k. Maybe what they say it's true, anything is possible.

4 comments:

CSquared said...

Awesome! Keep it up. 30 minutes is a great goal. Keep the race reports coming.

Mjay said...

Good job! Getting to the finish line is never as fun as when you CROSS IT! Keep running. It will get easier. I'll be interested to hear about your running group.

GC said...

YOU ROCK, RUTH!!!! Your determination is so admirable to me. 30min IS attainable. With continued focus and proper training (setting smaller goals to get you to 30min), you WILL get there!

I love running with my ipod, too. gets me through some of the times when I need a push. I find that on race day I don't even miss it, though..adrenaline rush usually carries me.

Keep practicing with the nutrition during training. You'll soon know what works and what doesn't. I find that pb&j repeats on me if I eat it prior to a workout (esp. swim), but is so satisfying post workout.

Happy to hear that your knee and foot were cooperative.

Congrats again and Good Luck with your next steps!! We are all here cheering for you! woo-woo!

m said...

Congrats Ruth! Great job!!! 10 min miles is possible!!!