Sunday, September 13, 2009

Last Hoorah- Genine's Skylands Race Report

A few drops of water didn't dampen the spirit of those who came out to participate in NJ Tri-Fest. The rain did not cut us a break yesterday, but today was glorious and sunny. I spent the day yesterday playing fan, photographer, sherpa and dog-sitter, along with Lara, while Matt and friends raced at Buckman. It's a small local race, so many people from the area to see. Matt, Todd, Ed and Chaz all raced as individuals and Maija filled in as the biker for Team Tonmeister with Kevin and Jeff. Even though a part of me was disappointed not to be racing, I always really enjoy spectating. I was (still am) feeling tired very run down/sick from lack of sleep and a stressful work week. I anticipated not being in shape to bike for Kevin & Jeff, so we called upon Maija to fill in for me. Good call! Everyone raced well and there are many fun tales which I am sure will be told in future race reports. Including the fact that Team Tonmeister, Todd, Ed and Matt all took home trophies for their efforts. Way to go!!

Kevin, Chaz, Matt, Maija, Todd, Me and Ed pre-race.

After the race, we came back to the house with Kevin, Lara and Jeff to clean up and prepare for the party. It was nice to have a few hours to relax and catch up with them before everyone else arrived. The rainy weather turned the evening into a more intimate gathering of 12 or so. It was quite nice to be able to really get to visit with people instead of feeling like you were "making the rounds" as it often does during a big party. We all fit on the back porch, ate like kings and chatted our way into the evening hours. The party broke around 9:30pm as all were tired from racing/spectating (hey! it's hard work, too.) earlier and many of us were anticipating more racing today. Matt ad I cleaned up and were in bed by 11:00pm.

The alarm went off at 5:00 this morning. I promptly hit snooze and slept until 5:30. (Ahh...the joy of a local race that starts later.) I got up and began to get my race stuff together (didn't do it the night before). You would think that only doing 1 leg of a race would be easier to pack for, but it was strangely disorienting. I kept feeling like I was forgetting things! We enjoyed a beautiful sunrise on the ride to the park, arriving around7:05. Got everything settled in transition, then headed down to the water, saw Matt & Maija off on their swim, one last stop in the bathroom and then back to transition to get ready to bike...anxiously waiting to see who would run into transition first!

Finishing the bike - wearing Maija's aero helmet for extra speed!

I was excited to ride this course again. I haven't been on it since last year's race and I was hopeful that I could make some improvements. Here comes Maija!! Struggled a bit getting the chip off her, but then grabbed my bike, told Bob I would see him out there and then ran out to start my ride. As I glanced at my HR on the way out of the park, I saw 170! Ha...this is going to be fun! As expected, Bob caught me around mile 4. I passed him once, then he passed me again as we started the monster climb. My mission was to stay as close behind Bob as I could. I never anticipated beating Bob on the ride. I am a realist. Bob is an awesome biker. He proved it on the ride today. On the killer hill (that lasts FOREVER!!...that many people walk up), I never saw him come out of aero! In true "Bob Style", he effortlessly chugged up, up, up the hill. The last I saw him he was cresting the top and then dropped out of sight. I didn't see him again. The second half of my ride felt great. Strong and fast. I held close with another guy who was relaying as we took turns leading each other all the way back to the park. It's so helpful to have someone to push you through a race! As Maija grabbed the chip to start her run, I saw Bob at the rack. he said I was only a couple minutes behind him ( a tad under 3min, I believe). Nice!! I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that I was that close! Finished in 49:36.... 17.3mph. Even thought we didn't beat Steve Austin, we did manage to defend our title as reigning womens relay champs! KB2's record remains undefeated at 4-0! Woo-Hoo!!

KB2 post race

Welcome to the Gun Show! Yeah...we bad!!

KB2 with the hardware! :-)

Show me the $$$$!!!

This was most likely my last race of the season (possibly a 5k or two in the fall). It felt great to spend it having fun & racing with friends. As I always say, we are so fortunate to enjoy this sport with so many great people! It continues to be an amazing journey. After all, that's what it's all about, Charlie Brown.

3 comments:

m said...

Great job out there! In addition to your swim and running improvements this year, your biking has even come along so well and yesterday was proof!

Always fun being a KB2 teammate with you! And the helmet looks very good!

Mjay said...

You guys rock! Love the pics...

CSquared said...

Way to go KB2! As always, I am glad when I am not on the receiving side of a Kick.

Way to defend the title.