Thursday, September 3, 2009

Once in a Blue Moon...or maybe a full moon

It's not often I get to say that I had a good swim, but...tonight I felt great for my entire swim. It was only about 50mins (since the pool closed at 9), but it was 50 solid minutes. No lolly-gagging after every 25m. I kept every rest interval (by counting "mississippis" - no lap clock at RVCC). I picked a workout from my swim book and did the entire thing without cheating or "altering". It was 2600m with a good mix of drill, pace building, dps and free style. I didn't get out of breath and I felt like I was keeping a good pace while not "working too hard". Not sure of my times, but for now I am more than happy with "feeling good". I think the RVCC pool is a good match for me...or maybe it is the full moon.

Matt said that my reward for keeping on task was a SFV soy chai latte from Starbucks post swim. It was too late by the time we were finished. Guess I will get to cash in over the weekend!

4 comments:

Mjay said...

See swimming isn't that bad after all! You were in the zone. Of course "zone" works made a lot easier when you aren't fretting about GIANT killer hairballs lurking below the surface.

Good job....be sure to get your Chai this weekend!

m said...

Get the Chai and have a cupcake! I like the counting in your head method...but I think they have a clock in the closet that you can pull out.

m said...

http://www.courtenaybrown.com/2009/09/excuses-are-for-bad-swimmers/

I really like this post by Courtenay. These swim excuses can sure get in the way of success sometimes!

GC said...

I love Courtenay's post. It embodies the whole premise behind inten-sati. Inten is short for intention. Every action, thought and emotion should be taken with an intention. Sati means awareness. It is about being aware (as Courtenay has learned) and understanding that our thoughts and emotions are totally under OUR control and only WE ourselves control them...not circumstances, not other people, etc.

It's pretty exciting when you think about it. Easy?? Not always...that is for sure. But I know that by learning to harness the power of our thoughts, emotions/attitudes (toward not only others but ourselves) and actions/reactions we can accomplish ANYTHING and achieve our dreams.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. I just couldn't help but chime in. Sati was great this morning so I'm still in that frame of mind. It's good stuff, man! :-)