Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I earned my Cookie!

I did the trail run on Sunday. It was an absolutely beautiful day. The race had 200 pre-registered participants and about another 80 show up that morning. There were some very familiar faces in the crowd. Tango winner - Chris Welch was there. He was the first runner across the line for the 11 mile course. He's amazing. Jeff Dahl and Kelly (Dahl) Mangione ran together. They crossed the finished line looking refreshed (if only....)Everyone said the 11 mile run was great. I suspect this race will occur again next year. If so I hope that some of you give it a try.

Anyway - here's my summary. I ran the 4 mile race (2 miles up hill climb on Morrison Run Road and Back down). Nothing compared to the 11 mile course! We all started at the same time on a narrow dirt road. The walkers were behind the runners. It was somewhat tough to find a place to run given the nature of the gravel road. There was quite a bit of zig/zag positioning for the first mile. Apparently, there's lease gas somewhere in the vicinity as well...the odor was quite strong initially.

For the first 3/4 mile I felt great..wow...my training was paying off. Then the nausea started. I am still not sure if it was due to my heart rate or lack of nutrition (my lungs felt fine). I slowed my pace and at one point started power walking. Nausea wouldn't go away. I was able to run in the ruts of the road thus avoiding the rocks on the road. The only really difficult portion was an obvious mud hole that they'd recently filled with large CHUNKS of rock. How do you runners do it??? I had to walk...no way my ankles would hold up on that surface.

I celebrated at the turnaround....yeah...two miles of uphill climb over....now it's down hill the rest of the way. I told Jerry to please go ahead. It was too hard to have him near me as we kept bumping into each other. So off he ran like an little kid (rrrrr). He joked with many of the people that he passed that he was the first of the 11 mile runners--just finishing up. He's lucky none of them tripped him!

Kathie (yeah "Vash's Kathie" from the Tango) told me that I looked strong coming through the finish line. She's always a great motivator. I didn't meet my goals given that I had to adopt more of a run/walk approach to this race. I did however finish. I will run it again next year and hope to see great improvements in my time.

I think my time was 42 minutes---not great but willing to put it out there so I can reference it next year and say....wow....look how I've improved.

Oh yeah there were dozens of celebratory cookies at the finish line --the best part for me--one of the guys I cyclewith ran the 4 mile course. As he came through the finished line He said quite loudly "Where are the cookies?!" Me--I didn't eat any cookies...just drank water...too nauseous (bummer).

9 comments:

catmarlson said...

Another race in the books. It's great that you are so motivated, even after not having met your own expectations. Some days are better than others and you are finding out about how to handle race day. (Nutrition, warming up...) The only way to find out is to do things differently until you find out what works for you.

Have your P90X DVD's arrived? I'm curious to get a report on the muscle confusion.

Mjay said...

P90x arrived over the weekend. I need to start this week. Maybe tonight. I will keep you updated.

GC said...

As I said before, Michelle, nice job for sticking it out and finishing the race! The more races and conditions you experience, the better you will be at gauging your nutrition, pacing, etc. (this coming from a novice runner! ha!) Getting out there for a good cause is worth more than a finish time. Plus, now you have a new goal to reach for next time.

I would have been celebrating after that 2 mile climb also! Too bad about no cookies for you after the race. :-( Jerry will have to make you some of the molasses ones to make up for it!

kathie white said...

michelle,
you were fantastic! and i mean that... (you guys should have seen her come through the finish line... she looked great, hardly having any trouble breathing..)
i would have never known you weren't feeling well...
it is always great to see my peeps come through the finish line. (i was slightly jealous because i couldn't run...) so it makes me proud to see others finish!
great job michelle! you deserved the cookie!
~kathie white

Mjay said...

You guys are all great! I have realistic goals...little improvements. Tomorrow night - the pool!!! Yeah

I just mapped out another 4 mile course (with hills). I think I may run it tonight after I drop Nick off at the field. Kathie--you are more than welcome to join me anytime.

Kathie---want to join me in the pool?

CSquared said...

The first year Matt and I did the Tango, I asked the kids at all the check stations, "Where's the ice cream, I was promised Ice CreaM?" A couple looked concerned they didn't have any. I believe all races should have a cookie or cookie equivalent.

Good job. Uphill always does different things to your body. Keep it up. You will be triing right along.

Kathie White said...

pool????
what's that? does it have 2 wheels and lots of gears???
nice running shoes?

Mjay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GC said...

"pool????
what's that? does it have 2 wheels and lots of gears???"

Ha-ha! I like the way Kathie thinks! Smart girl! ;-)