Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Plantar Faciitis / Pull ups / Push ups... Diet

My left foot definitely has a bit of plantar fasciitis. Last night at the pool we caught up with Grace she told me she hasn't raced all year because of plantar fasciitis. Yikes!! That is a huge bummer. Naturally, I've been digging through triathlon and running forums to find out how other athletes have worked through this problem. One of the posts had a couple interesting statements I thought I'd share here.
First he mentioned that often times PF occurs when something new has entered your world. It could be workout related. Or it could be something like a new chair at work, which makes you place your feet differently for the majority of your day. (As in not flat on the floor).

Second he mentions that the cause is quite simply the lower leg and foot muscles being too tight. So you should work on stretching everything out. Then he adds that these calf stretches should be of the type, which has your foot flat on the floor. Not hanging off the edge of a stair or things like that as this has a tendency to over-stretch (tear) things. (He’s not a doctor but it sounds logical)

So put these 2 comments together and what do you get? Probably the cause of my PF. Back in April when I hurt my right knee, I decided that a good part of that injury could have occurred because of my lack of flexibility in my calves. So I made a point of stretching my calves daily... usually by hanging my foot off of a stair. Also I have been starting my morning by doing 15 minutes of yoga, with a bunch of time spent in Downward Facing Dog. Again, my heels are off of the floor. So perhaps I've found the source of my "overdoing it" for my foot. I'll make some adjustments and hope that it heals up. (Yes I should be doing more of the ice therapy as well)

Enough about that. The pull up plan is still rolling. Although I almost forget to do them every day. So I end up doing them at 9-10 at night. I feel I've placed myself into the right place on the pull up plan. Meaning it's pushing me but I'm getting it done.
The push up plan on the other hand, I think I may have placed myself a bit ahead of where I really am. I'm getting it done. Yet every time I look at the next workout, I realize it's not going to be easy and there is a bit of dread. Ha ha! The payoff is going to be worth it, I already feel a difference, which is surprising given how little time has been spent. Each workout is less than 15 minutes.

Lastly, the diet has been in effect for over a week now. Not sure if I mentioned that I gained about 15 pounds between February and Timberman Weekend. How's that for the opposite of what I wanted to accomplish? I can tell you it's much easier to diet when you aren't doing 2 workouts a day. I definitely have to continue the food tracking. It seems to be the best way to go for me. The fact I can check my Carb/fat/protein intake through the day helps me stay balanced and keeps me from feeling like I "need" to eat. The weight is falling off again and after getting past the first 4 days, I'm back to feeling normal.
I guess the challenge of next season will be to learn how to eat when the workouts increase again. If at first you don't succeed...

5 comments:

Mjay said...

Try Try Again.... :)

I am hopeful that you have found the source of your plantar fasciitis and will soon be on the road to recovery!

Jim said...

I've found the best option for PF is the night splint with a built in ice pack. Much better than most other treatments available.

pull up plan- finished week 1. Starting 2. Started at a max of 6 and at the end of week one I did the prescribed sets of 4,4,4,3, and max. After the first 4 sets, I pulled 7. So maybe "fresh" I could get 8 or 9? I'm very pleased for 1 week. With 5 weeks to go, I think I can make 20!!

catmarlson said...

The night splint like this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Swede-O-Deluxe-Padded-Plantar-Fasciitis/dp/B000636QAE

not the sock, right?
http://www.thesock.com/
That thing just looks uncomfortable.

Glad someone is in on the pull up plan with me. Misery loves company...
Just kidding, I'm finding that it's a good challenge. It's also reminding me that it would be a good idea to stick with the eating plan. What do you think 10 pounds lighter would equal? 3 more reps?

Jim said...

10 pounds,... 3 reps?? seems like wishful thinking? So if one of us lost 30 pounds, we could do 9 more?? hmmm. I get your reasoning, but don't think the benefit would be that steep.

As for the splint, yes you are right with your choice except, Id stll use the night splint with the built in icepack. The link on amazon doesn't have that.

crj said...

Try this for the Plantar Fasciitis: Try freezing a pop bottle and rolling it on the bottom of your foot every night for 20 minutes. This massages and gently stretches the fascia while icing at the same time. Try doing heal drops on a step. This is the catch, do them in such a way that it takes like 1 minute for each rep and do 5 reps each night before icing. The key is to go very very slow all the way down, then all the way up. Let me know. Great job today at the race!!