Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Gonna Getcha

Last night I dragged my husband along for a run. I was pleased because initially I was running at a faster pace (I've been working on interval training at the Y-treadmill style!). I was pleased. But by the time we hit the bridge it became apparent that my left leg was not going to keep up. Mind you my right leg felt great! So we slowed-drats! We probably ran between 3 and 4 miles. I need to drive it for exact distance. I discovered yet again that I rock on the treadmill BUT my leg continues to swell when running on hard surfaces. Gosh darn DVT! Tonight I think I am going to go for a shorter run, take a baby aspirin before the run and wear a compression sock on the left leg (Suggested by my chiropractor as a possible option).

I should note that so far my neck (which hampered training during the summer) seems to be much better. Thanks in large part to Dr. David Brooke!

On a fun note (or crazy depending on your perspective): at one point later in the run I decided to increase my pace for two blocks. Jerry ran behind me "encouraging" me by saying "I'm gonna getcha." WE laughed at the time BUT I am sure any passerby would have assumed we escaped from the State Hospital.

I always enjoy running with Jerry. We may not be fast BUT we're doing it. As he pointed out last night....none of our parents were doing this when they were 39!

Run is on Sunday (proceeds raised will benefit local hospice group)- 4 mile trail run. I am hopeful that the leg will cooperate given the morning temps and softer surfaces. We'll see.....

2 comments:

catmarlson said...

very cool. I'll be curious to see if trail running is better for you. It would be great if it were the answer for your run training. Maybe you are built for Xterra Triathlons. :-)

check out map my run or google pedometer to figure out your mileage.

Sunday's race is definitely for a good cause. Hope there is a good turn out for it. I look forward to hearing about it.

Mjay said...

Nick would love it if I started doing those. I can totally see Nick competing in stuff like that when he gets older...that or figuring out how to compete in races on his unicycle. He wants to ride it back and forth to school. We said it's probably a better idea to stick with his traditional 2 wheeled bike. (But hey - atleast that bike is pink!) Nick--always going in style