Thursday, August 27, 2009

What I learned from doing Timberman 70.3

Timberman was a learning experience. I figure I had better list everything before I forget about them.

The Swim: Is being in the mix at the beginning worth it? Or is it always better to be to the outside away from the mess?

At our practice swim a few days before the race I felt really good swimming in my wetsuit. Then I took it off and just did a few shorter intervals. I was stunned at how much easier my arm recovery felt without the wetsuit on. I think I’ll be buying a sleeveless “DeSoto Speed Vest” to wear at warmer swims. Also I guess I need to time myself just wearing the bib john without a top. I have a feeling there would be more drag and that this would be slower, but it would be good to know for certain.

Biking the flats: As I was being passed by the awesome bikers, I felt that what they were doing differently was this. Bigger gear, lower cadence. It looked like the right thing to be doing and I was very tempted to try this out. I didn’t. I’m sure I wouldn’t have had the leg strength to pull it off. It definitely made me feel like I need to join a group ride so I could learn more about biking and my capabilities. I’m definitely having to err on the side of caution during the bike because of my lack of experience.

Shawn has bar tape on his aerobars. There were moments during my ride that I thought I also needed to do this. Then I realized I felt the same way in the drops or hoods as well. I think that I’ve decided for a 56 mile bike, it’s worth taking the time to put on my bike gloves.

I also had better add that I am a fool for not applying some sort of anti-chaffing product before the start of my day.

Running: I’m undecided about what causes the cramping. Was I under-trained for this distance race? Or is it really just a matter of learning how to use the Electrolyte pills? Or mixture of both? At the very least, I need to start using the electrolytes more often so that I know how they affect my stomach. I couldn’t bring myself to take them on the run because I didn’t know what they would do to me. Also I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say they give instant or quick relief anyhow. Either way, not trying this out before this long of a race was a mistake.

Transitions: These bigger races have large transition areas. I need to start practicing leaving my shoes on the bike all the time. It would shave a few seconds off for sure.
I guess I don’t practice this because I figure I have bigger issues to deal with. That is no reason not to take care of something easy like this.

I need to add spare contacts to my transition bag. It’s only a matter of time before I lose one during the swim or bike.

The extra set of goggles is handy if you happen to have someone that can keep them around for you before the swim start

Racking the bike in Transition. The official walking through transition was saying the tire on the ground had to be on the same side as your number on the rack. I did this but it was my rear wheel. Someone changed my bike for me while I was gone so that it was my front wheel down on my side of the rack. Is this the “accepted” method everyone expects to be followed? Do you place your gear on the down tire side? Do you rack the exact same way when you return from the bike.?
None of this really seemed to matter but it would seem that being uniform would make it easier for everyone.

Abs were sore post race: I mentioned this to Tiffany at yoga last night and said that I think I need to do more abdominal work. She disagreed. She brings up my lower cross imbalance. She thinks there is a good chance my abs are sore because they are doing all the work.
If I’d strengthen my lower back and glutes, my abs would probably be able to relax.
Then she threw in the fact I could stand to work on my upper cross problem as well. I have to admit, it makes a ton of sense. So all my abs work is going to be stabilization poses for a while and my weight training will focus on removing this imbalance. I didn’t ask how long she thought it would take. Until I start doing the homework, there is no point to asking this question.

Bike fit: I am plagued by my lower back/hip on my right side during a long bike with hard effort. Part of me doubts that it is a fit issue. I figure it is a weakness and posture problem. Problem is until I find someone that is “The” Bike Fitting Guy. I really can’t see spending any money on another fit. I have to do some searching and find someone.

Gear improvements: I’m currently using crank brothers for my pedals. I think I’m going to switch to Delta Clips like Genine, Maija and Shawn. (Craig too?). I thought about the speed play but I think it just makes sense to have the same as Genine. This way if for some reason we have an issue on race day, we might be able to swap equipment.

Unless I can find some way to remove the nasty smell from my shoes, I’ll be buying new shoes as well.

I’m still riding the stock saddle that came with my bike. It’s time I do some homework here as well. I would prefer to find a local bike shop with a decent selection of saddles that would let me test ride a bunch of them. I know of at least one that would let me sit on a trainer in the shop to do this but their selection wasn’t very good.
I haven’t a clue as to will work for me, so I feel I want to go through a wide variety. I’ve seen places online that will send you a bunch and you can return all but the one you want. It’s just that I think you have to buy all of them initially, then get credited back once they are returned. Kind of a pain.

Edit: I'm going to toss in something I learned from the DC Tri back in June. Use some electrical tape to secure your bike number to your bike. In DC my number started to come off and I ended up trying to fix that problem as I was riding. So at Timberman I taped the number at the top tube and on the seams. It worked well, I think it helped keep it from flapping into my legs too.

Well that’s the list. It might be more useful than my race report. Hope it helps somebody and I really hope it helps me!

4 comments:

m said...

Wow that's a lot of stuff.

I don't think they let age groupers go shoeless in 70.3's, at least at many races. You may want to look into this. It does help in the big transitions, if you can get them on fast.

Did you past the guys that were hammering the flats later on the run? Biking fast only does so much for you if you can't run fast because you waste your legs.

Supposedly Adam's coach is a really good bike fit guy. He is on long island and owns his bike shop.

There were a lot of questions on there...can't remember if I wanted to respond to anymore.

Oh yeah, and I wanted to note that if you were swimming as fast as you did at Timberman, you need to start lining up in the front line of the swims. It is a waste of energy to line up in the second row cause you get kicked/grabbed from both directions and you are fast enough to line up in front.

GC said...

I saw many age groupers going into transition shoeless in this race, so I'm guessing they allow it. Is that rule "race specific", maybe the race director decides?? (I don't know what I'm talking about here, really. Just noting what I witnessed.)

And YES...a million times YES to buying NEW BIKE SHOES!!

Mjay said...

ODO BAN is a product I have used for odors.Sam's club sells it. Maybe Cosco carries it as well. It works wonders on LOTS of stinky things. I am going to get a gallon or two given the rank odors now permeating from Jordan rooms post football practice. (Since when did his sweat begin to smell like "seasoned" cat pee?? disgusting)

You can put it right in with your laundry or dilute it and use it as a spray.

But MATT--for Genine...get new shoes.

SJV said...

Taping the number to the bike and to itself was a good idea. I saw a lot of numbers lying on the bike course. They just weren't sticky enough.

One weird thing that happened to me was that one of my Gu packets taped to my top tube cut my thigh during a climb, similar to a paper cut. They were a little farther back than I normally put them because I had added a bento box for my shot bloks. That's something I'd like to remember. Gotta find a better location now.