Sunday, August 23, 2009

Timberman Half Iron Results

Timberman Half Iron Results Link

The short version from Matt. (this doesn't happen often...)
I was happy with the swim. I could have done better. Easiest swim I've done in terms of feel/effort.
Bike: 1:13 minutes in I got a flat. Took 6.5 minutes to change (yes, I hit my lap timer). My Bike Goal was 3 hours. with no flat I make it by about 6 seconds.
Run: 2nd lap was all about muscle cramps and I lose my chance at being closer to 5:30:00
Still very pleased with it overall. Now I know what it's all about.
827   583 70.3  Matthew Carlson 39 M  

1.2 mile Swim
409 Overall 33:27 27:53 mile pace

T1 2:48

56 mile bike
1177 3:06:36 18.0

T 2 3:00

13.1 mile run
756 2:09:54 9:55

5:55:44 147/262 M35-39 651/1246 M

1839 2400 70.3 Shawn Vashaw 40 M 1273

1.2 mile swim
40:45 33:58

T1 5:40

56 mile bike
1800 3:50:16 14.6

T2 6:38

He did finish. Results just aren't updated for some reason
47/48 CLYDES 1228/1246 M

7 comments:

Mjay said...

I'm so impressed with both of you! Congratulations on completing this challenge. Who's up for Iron Man!? teehee

CSquared said...

Good job! Times look well. You will have to let us know how you feel about them.

Of course I am interested to see Shawn's overall time. He appeared to be pretty strong through the swim and the bike.

Matt, your time looked awesome to me. Hope all are well.

catmarlson said...

9:21:00 Was the clock time that Shawn crossed the line. But he started at least and hour later than the first wave. So 8:15:00??

I'm very happy about the swim.
Bike also was right on schedule. The flat was a 6.5 minute delay.
First Lap of the run was on schedule as well. Then I ran into problems, it was a hot day and the leg cramping became an issue. More on that later.
Honestly, for the first shot at this distance, I'm happy.

IronMan is still nowhere on my radar. I have new appreciation for the distance tho'.

silent_scream said...

congrats guys!

m said...

Congrats guys! I was worried when I didn't see a finish time for Shawn in the results but was happy when he posted it up on fb.

Way to stay cool under pressure with the flat!

catmarlson said...

"cool under pressure with the flat"
6:30 to change the tire. That's pretty good for me.

Others might not know this part.
My friend Todd offered me to borrow his HED3 race wheels for the event. They are Tubular so you have to glue the tire on. My race would have ended when I got that flat unless bike support was willing to give me a new wheel... but it would have been awhile before that happened. I was glad for my clincher wheels right then.

SJV said...

Yeah, I finished. Just because I ran so slowly that all the timing people went home is not a good reason for them to leave my numbers off the page. I was not last by a long shot. Sure there were only 18 people behind me or so, but they were miles behind me!

I'll write a report when I get a chance. Just got home late last night. Everything went pretty much as expected, and I feel surprisingly good, aside from a pain in my lower back that I had before I started. The race made that worse, but I was out swimming and frolicking in the ocean of Old Orchard Beach, Maine the next day.

My advice for anyone thinking of attempting a half-iron is that they should probably train. That probably would have helped me. And try to avoid weighing 270 pounds if you can. And maybe get in a race where they don't put the fat guys in the last wave!