Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A SLIGHT CHANGE TO THE IRONMAN 70.3 BIKE COURSE

Sorry guys. Posting this here so I remember to map this later on.

For all of you who’ve done the race in the past, and have been biking the course this summer, there’s a small change to the bike course. On the outbound portion of the course, the turnaround on South Village Road has been changed. You’ll be turning left at the 129/South Village Road/North Village Road intersection now, about ¾ of a mile before the original turnaround. It’s a safer intersection to turn at now, with traffic lights and a turn lane for you.
The other change is on the return leg, about 1 mile past Jordan’s Ice Creamery. You’ll turn right on Brown Hill off of 106, then left on Farraville Road off of Brown Hill, and then a right from Farraville back onto 106.

We’re doing this to bypass some rough pavement on 106 between Brown Hill and Farraville Road. Both Brown Hill and Farraville Road are beautifully paved, with virtually no traffic. Nice and smooth. While most of 106 has been repaved and is in fantastic shape, this one mile section of 106 is beat up, and has only a narrow shoulder to bike in.

1 comment:

SJV said...

I saw this e-mail today. It means nothing to me. I hope this course is as well labeled as the Mooseman, and we should all be fine. The fact that there aren't two different races on the same day should help too.

I am also hopeful that I won't be the last biker on the course, and thus riding blind after all the volunteers have gone home.

That might be the case on the run, but not the bike!

This is going to be a long, hot race for me. Sheesh. It is going to take me close to 7 hours, I figure. Maybe more. If it's high noon during the run (it will be) and it's a hot day, I could be in for such a pleasurable experience! Ah well. I know I can run 13 miles now, so I am excited to give this thing a shot.